Photo

.rmgc (master files) and .rmgb (back up files)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have been cleaning out and organizing my RM6 files on my new W10 laptop.  I understand that  .rmgc are the "master files" and the .rmgb are the "back up" files.  I guess I do not fully understand the difference.  The .rmgc files have a date of the day I put RM6 on this new laptop and does not seem to change as the back up file dates do each time I back up.  Should these dates change?  In fact, I have TWO .rmgc files in two different saved folders.  Different dates but same size.

Are they being updated automatically?   I also have a file named RM6 gedcom.LST.  Any idea what this is?  I am sure I created it back on the date indicated in 2013 and copied it from the old laptop but being 1KB and it will not open so I don't know what it is or if to keep it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

The main database is a Your_File.rmgc file.  The Your_File(2014-03-29).rmgb is a backup.  The date of the backup is embedded in the filename as noted with 2014-03-29.  If you try to do a second or third etc backup on the same day, RM will ask if you want to overwrite the earlier copy.  

If you ever need to recover a backup file, you have to do a RM "restore".  If you do a restore in the same named directory as your original database and IF the backup file is the SAME name as your current database, the restored backup will replace your current file.

If you ever need to recover a backup file to see what used to be in your data, you have to do a RM "restore" in a totally different named directory.

My main data is on the F: drive.  Backups are on the C: drive.  Periodic backups are on a USB memory stick.  And I know I should take a memory stick to the bank box every now and then.

Without the knowledge how the two [name.rmgc] files were created, it is hard to answer your question. Using RM, do a "Properties" on each file.  Look at the detailed statistics on each file.

#3 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for your help..I found that  I had TWO .rmgc files in different folders..so I determined which one was the correct one and deleted the other (not empty the trash just yet) and checked the properties and default folders and checked several times it opened the correct file.  I also created a gedcom and backed up to make sure the files updated and the dates corresponded with this back up..I am glad I found this now and not months from now after I added more things in different data bases.

I have the Master Data Files in a separate folder and the back ups on a separate folder.  I also back up to a flash drive.

Am I correct that each time I exit the program and it says to back up..the master files are also backed up so the dates on the .rmgc should be changing each time I back up?

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for your help..I found that  I had TWO .rmgc files in different folders..so I determined which one was the correct one and deleted the other (not empty the trash just yet) and checked the properties and default folders and checked several times it opened the correct file.  I also created a gedcom and backed up to make sure the files updated and the dates corresponded with this back up..I am glad I found this now and not months from now after I added more things in different data bases.

I have the Master Data Files in a separate folder and the back ups on a separate folder.  I also back up to a flash drive.

Am I correct that each time I exit the program and it says to back up..the master files are also backed up so the dates on the .rmgc should be changing each time I back up?

No, the date on the Master (.rmgc) file is normally updated when you write data to that file, i.e. every time any data is saved due to changes, additions or deletions. Dates on Backup Files (.rmgb) are static, i.e. they relate to the date on which the backup was made.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

GOT IT!   But after all these years I think I have been saving wrong.  I will try to explain what I do.  I have two laptops.  The main one "A" has all the files and .rmgc and back ups pointing to that A laptop folders.  For safety reasons, I keep a back up copy on Laptop B that I rarely use by copy/paste files from A to B (and also to a flash drive).  I wanted to be sure if I ever lost laptop A I had a back up.  Laptop A and B are on the same network .  But today, I was on laptop B and opened the program, it opened the file from laptop A so when I made changes and saved it..it saved to the defaults of laptop A.   I Might have been doing that all along all these years and I never noticed on the top the path of the program that loaded.  So it seems every time I copy and paste my files from A to B the default folders from B will be over written with the A folder designations right?  So my fear is, if A becomes corrupt and I try to open B, it will not be able to find the rmgc file from the A laptop and I have lost everything.  I copy all the files to a flash drive also.  If I loose A can I insert the flash drive and import a back up from there or do a restore from there or is it also tied to the laptop A.  When I back up, there is also the .rmgc files in a separate folder from the back ups .  When opening the progam from B, Is the program actually opening the file from the path of A or from the copied file now  in B? 

Whew!  I don't know how else in my novice way to explain it so I  hope you get it.  Any suggestions?

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Honestly, I think it's very hard to be sure without an expert coming to your house and checking your setup for you. Even if you took both laptops into a service facility and paid them to look at it for you, the machines wouldn't be on your home network and the setup wouldn't really be the same you had at home.

Jerry

#7 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

Thank you Jerry..been testing all afternoon..If I set the folder options for data files and back ups etc. on each laptop to that laptop all seems to work.  When I copy files from A to B (A being the one I am on the most B being the back up) I can bring up B with A shut down and it opens the last file I copied and pasted to B..  I feel comfortable that way..I never really shut down A before while I was on B so I never knew B was pointing to A    Amazing the small things you never notice that can really be important. .