7 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

I have uploaded my RM tree to Ancestry and have begun reviewing hints through tree share. However, I am finding numerous Ancestry hints that are already loaded as facts/sources in my RM tree. I'm calling them redundant because the item was already loaded to RM before the upload. I don't understand why Ancestry is sending a new hint for the same person/ fact/ source.

Is anyone else seeing this? 

Thanks 

Rick

RickL

#2 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

Rick

I think that what you describe is the same or at least similar to the issue I have been experiencing.

I prefer to use the Ancestry website to review hints and to attach facts and sources to those in my tree on the Ancestry website as this also enables me to separately download source documents and store them in individual files on my computer.  I then use TreeShare to update my RM file.

Yesterday, after entering a few bits of information into RM, I needed to upload my tree to Ancestry again.  Shortly after doing so, like you, I started getting the Ancestry hints again.  I also thought that these were redundant given that the vast majority of my sources had come from Ancestry in the first place.  However, I decided to look at some of my ancestors' profiles on the website and discovered that the sources uploaded from RM, despite originally being from Ancestry, were shown on the site under "Other Sources" rather than under "Ancestry Sources".  I imagine that Ancestry hints depend on what, if anything, appears under "Ancestry Sources".

I am not sure whether this is something that Development can fix or whether it is for Ancestry to deal with.  Either way, I would hope that something can be done to get the Ancestry website to correctly recognise its own sources even if they do come from other programmes such as RM. 

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

I do the same. I use RM as my primary data base and I research Ancestry and Family Search then bring into RM what ever I find. I've been doing this for a number years manually. Now I am using Tree Share and I'm seeing lots of redundant hints hints showing up from Ancestry. What I usually do is "accept" the duplicated hint in order to clear it from "pending" (turn off the light bulb). That is OK except that it requires a huge amount of time to be constantly checking and comparing hints only to find I already have the same information in RM, then essentially kill the hint.  

I would have thought that by uploading my tree to Ancestry, Ancestry would recognize information that originally came from there. 

BTW - I have only uploaded my tree once to Ancestry. Not sure what happens to hints if you upload more than once.

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

Oh, forgot to say

Would it make sense to add another choice in Tree Share called "Duplicate" instead of just "Accept" or "Reject", that would clear the hint from pending but not transfer any information?

RickL

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

An Ancestry Source added to your database through TreeShare is linked to that citation until your database is Disconnected by RM. When next uploaded via TreeShare to a new Ancestry Tree, the link is unavailable to unambiguously pair your citation record with the original Ancestry record. That's why it becomes an Other Source on Ancestry and a hint is generated for the very Source from which the citation first came.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:37 AM

A function to allow the user to match up a Hint with a citation could establish the linkage, effectively avoiding the Change process - neither side changes.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

So......

Then best solution (for now) is probably to manually scan/review the hint against the RM record in Tree Share and, if it is redundant/duplicate, just "accept" it to clear the pending hint.

Rick

RickL

#8 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Rick

Yes, that looks like the best solution for now.  Let's hope that RM can come up with a solution in due course.  A function along the lines of that suggested by TomH sounds like a very good idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Redundant hints ancestry