• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

I've added new images through the Edit Person window (new to the media collection as well) to the Person level on 17 people in RM. 

No data has been added/edited otherwise on these 17 people.

TreeShare is not picking up that I've added new images to these people; they do not appear in the changed people area in order to upload the images to my Ancestry tree.

I tried adding the media to an event/fact but TreeShare still did not recognize there had been something new added unless I actually edit the event/fact in some way (I added a space to the existing data in the description field).

Is there a step I'm missing to get TreeShare to see new images without having to add it to an event/fact where I don't want it and then having to edit that event/fact to get it to register a change has been made?

So instead of doing all that work-around, I went directly to the Ancestry tree and uploaded the images to the gallery of the person (not linked to any event/fact.) TreeShare did see that I had done that in Ancestry so I just used the Mark as "not changed" button to prevent duplication of the images in RM.

My concern is, going forward, when you make many changes to many different people and don't perform a TreeShare update right away, you would not be aware (if you didn't remember that you added them) that it is not uploading any new images that have been added to a person on the Person level or to an event/fact that has not also been altered in some way. I just happened to catch it because that is all I had done on the RM tree.

Also posted the question in FB Group but no responses over there.

PS I posted this under discussion instead of bug as I wasn't sure if the function is there and I'm just missing a step.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

The problem is Ancestry has two areas they support for one area in RootsMagic. On Ancestry you have a Name fact with its own notes, sources and media. Then they have a separate Person area with the general note, sources and primary photo. In RM you have just the primary name whic is the person row on the Edit Person screen, with general notes, sources and media. You can select one photo to be the primary photo.

We can send the primary photo in the initial upload to Ancestry. Afterwards there is no way to send it. In the MediaTag if you check it as the Primary Photo it won't even display in TreeShare. It is basically hidden. If unchecked it will go up to the Gallery but you will need to mark it as a primary photo. If you send anything associated with the name on Ancestry to RM it will be hidden. That is because we do not have a place to display it. 

We are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in this area. We need a rewrite of this whole area to support these two sections in Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Renee for the explanation. I'll try to remember to load images directly to Ancestry if I want them there and they aren't going to be linked to an altered event/fact. It won't be often as I'm running without loaded media on the Ancestry tree but these were Profile images I wanted to add. Bit of a learning curve but it will all become routine again in no time.