9 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

I have about 14 predominately last names that are unknown in my database. Should I record "unknown" in the surname field or leave it blank? Is the a protocol I should be following?

Thanks,

Ian 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

When I have an unknown surname for a SPOUSE I enter a placeholder-style surname.

For example, if Johnny B. Goode is married Suzie M. (no known surname), I enter her display name as Suzie M. [Goode]

The use of square brackets is a clear indicator that more research is needed. The placement of the spouse's surname within the brackets gives an indication of relationship, and prevents an increasingly large number of [Unknown] surnames.

I also use the square brackets for privatized given names, as in [Living] or [Unknown] or [Private].

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

When I have an unknown surname for a SPOUSE I enter a placeholder-style surname.

For example, if Johnny B. Goode is married Suzie M. (no known surname), I enter her display name as Suzie M. [Goode]

The use of square brackets is a clear indicator that more research is needed. The placement of the spouse's surname within the brackets gives an indication of relationship, and prevents an increasingly large number of [Unknown] surnames.

I also use the square brackets for privatized given names, as in [Living] or [Unknown] or [Private].

Thank you!

#4 bgellisshapiro

bgellisshapiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

My method is to use Mrs in the prefix field.  So for your example her name would appear in the indexed list right next to her husband, as Mrs. Suzie M. Goode. If I locate her maiden name, I change the surname on her record, and remove the Mrs.

#5 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

since MOST of my unknown surnames are married females, I use:  Mary wife of John Doe.  I did this because I found that if I did blanks, or unknown or --- as some people suggested to do didn't allow me to know at a glance which family the female belongs to.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8364 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

For the primary name I just use what I have. If it's Mary then that's all I put. Then for an alternate name I will put her married name with the prefix Mrs.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Folks,

So there is no right or wrong way just your preferred way. I like that. There are options just what you prefer the best.

Appreciate all the different ways of recoding the missing spouse. I am recording unknown as either [Unknown] or [my family name] depending on the couple. I have 10 females and 4 males thus far recorded this way.

It certainly tidies up the database and is an easy flag to see who is missing complete records. All suggestion would work well thou.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Regards,

Ian

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

I do similar to what Renee does.

#9 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

I also use the same method as zhangrau.  I've tried it several different ways in the past but this one really works effectively for all the reasons he stated.

#10 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:06 AM

I do similar to what Renee does.

Me too - at least until now.  I rather like zhangrau's method.