• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spacecat56

spacecat56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

The way RM7 now handles Ancestry hints is pretty effective.  The dialog for a hint shows the details in your file on one side, the details from the record suggested in the "hint" on the other side, and lets you pick details from the hint to merge in, it downloads the media if you accept some of the facts, etc.

The thing is, hints are hardly the be-all-end-all of content finds on Ancestry.  In fact, I've been using FTM and Ancestry for several years and I ignore the hints and do searches more often than not.  The main thing is that the "hints" tend to be sparse... they miss LOTS of applicable data on Ancestry.  Why? At least some of that is because of mangles in the indexing... you may know a census record is there and be able to get a "hit" in search if you play with the spelling of the name.  Anyway that's just one example.  The great majority of content I've accepted from Ancestry came from searches not from hints.

Now I'm seriously looking at RM7 because it has some features I like (another topic).

But the way websearch results from Ancestry are handled in the current version is a deal-breaker.  I can see why a web tag makes sense for a hit on google.  But from Ancestry you can get a fact breakout and source citation data to fit into the structured database, not just some "link".

A selected Websearch result from Ancestry should be handled by RM7 in the same exact way as Ancestry hints are... I mean, using the same dialog.  

As long as RM7 does not do that, I see no point at all to the websearch Ancestry target in RM7: you are just making a mess.  Please tell me you intend to improve this "pretty soon"?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

That's a very good observation. Does FTM search Ancestry and incorporate results as you describe?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 spacecat56

spacecat56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

That's a very good observation. Does FTM search Ancestry and incorporate results as you describe?

Yes, pretty much.  The details of how it is arranged differ from the way it would probably best fit into RM.  But for the great majority of types of sources, in FTM if you pick a single result from an Ancestry search it pulls out the facts and offers them for merging into the selected person as discrete items with source & citation and image file (if any) attached & downloaded.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

That's cool and it suggests that it is done through the same API as the one used by RootsMagic - I haven't heard of another. So it should be technically possible to have that feature in RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 spacecat56

spacecat56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Thanks, Renee...

... I see that wording is a sort of formula...

... it seems a bit ambiguous to me.

I wonder if you might please say whether that means "it was already there" or "it has been added after consideration of this thread"?

thanks, 

/t

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

It was a new one I added.

Renee
RootsMagic