• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wdt

wdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

I am a fairly new user of RootsMagic, currently using V7.5.1.

My question is why do the names of some (but not all) start persons not show up in my ancestor narrative reports?  The notes attached to the start person DO appear - but no name.

Here is an actual example showing the start person name missing, along with the first line of the second generation (which was printed correctly) :

First Generation

1.  Could Rose and Minnie be the same person?

Second Generation

2.  William "Bill" N RUTH died on 5 Mar 1901 at the age of 55 in Williams, Coconino Co, AZ. He was buried on 5 Mar...

What could be causing this problem for some, but not all persons?

Additional note: when I run a descendant narrative the person's name in the example above is missing, and again, the notes are present.

Thanks,

Doug

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

Look at the birth fact under Lists->Fact Type List. It looks like the sentence template for the birth fact has been blanked out. It should look like the following. If it doesn't, put it back to the following. If it does look like the following, then something else is the problem. For your person that's working correctly, his first fact is his death fact and the template for the death fact appears to be ok.

[person] was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

There is a report setting for what is to be outputted in the absence of a Birth or Christen event. It must have [person] in it.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 wdt

wdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Appreciate the replies of both Jerry and TomH.  By implementing each of your suggestions the problem has been corrected in all of my narrative reports.

This has prompted me to wonder about the following - Is there a method to print a narrative report with ONLY the individual's notes, no facts?

Again, thanks for your help.

Doug

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

Yes, but...

You could delete all the sentence templates for all fact types but one custom one named, say, Head with a sentence template "[person]" which you would add to every person with a Sort Date of 1. Include Notes in the narrative reports settings.

Downsides are that superscripts for foot/endnotes fir each fact will precede the fact's note. Also there are some canned sentences over which you have no control.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 wdt

wdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

Got it...probably not worth the effort.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

You could readily see the effect by using a SQLite query to strip out the fact sentences from a copy of your database.