• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldhabit1

oldhabit1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

I wanted to print up a narrative report of my ancestors including children. There is a glaring gap in this report -- it doesn't include my marriage or that of any other children. That's over half my life. Marriage is one of three basic life facts and it's completely eliminated from the narrative reports. Any facts that are joined to my husband don't exist in this narrative report. How does that reflect the truth about a person? Is there a fix for this? Marriage facts are included for my parents, my grandparents, my great-grandparents, etc.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

"I wanted to print up a narrative report of my ancestors including children." - "There is a glaring gap in this report -- it doesn't include my marriage..."

Do you see the conflict? You've presumably chosen an Ancestor and Children Report, but your Husband isn't an ancestor, neither are your children, so a standard "Ancestor Report", based on yourself, isn't going to include any information about your husband, his ancestors, or your children.  

You probably need to start looking at the Publisher (Publish a Book) options, which will allow you to put together a number of different reports into a single document as what you are asking for is a combined "Ancestor and Descendant" Report, which RootsMagic doesn't have a pre-built standard template for.  Unless, of course, anyone knows of a better option.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

You could start the narrative report with one of your children. If you temporarily unlink your spouse from his parents it won't go up his tree.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 oldhabit1

oldhabit1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Mervyn, I do see the conflict. My issue is that I have a marriage fact and subsequent facts that don't show up in my narrative.  They don't need to include an individual narrative on my husband, though that would be nice. It would be ideal if they included a narrative for Descendants, Ancestors and children. Instead we have to choose between the two.

#5 oldhabit1

oldhabit1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

Renee, beginning with one of my children doesn't change the fact that the beginning person's narrative is only half told. Also if I begin with one of my children, then their father's ancestors get included which isn't what I had in mind. It seems to me that at one time we had the option to run a narrative that included both ancestors and descendants and now we don't.