• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

I have recently been adding a number of 'new' families to my RM7 database, numbers of which have been discovered through information obtained from census returns.  In the bad old days, when a census search involved a train journey before manually walking through the census return pages recording the information, the data input was not a great chore.  Now, with the advent of almost comprehensive online databases, I find the inputting of source references has become a tad tiresome with only, so far as I am aware, the Windows clipboard to help.  That means that only one reference can be stored for quick pasting, whereas I often have a wish to keep 3 or 4 references in memory at a time.  Such frustration can lead to sloppy source references.  As a number of the function keys do not appear to perform a useful purpose in the program, is it possible for them to be 'programmed' to store such information.  After all, 30 years or so ago they were named 'programmable function keys' as opposed to 'function keys' and many databases of the time allowed such prorgamming. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

I'm not sure if you are using the Memorize and Paste button to copy your sources or not. Have you found this feature, or are you looking to Memorize multiple sources at a time?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi Renee
Thanks for your response.
I haven't found the memorise button but have been using the built in Windows cut and paste keyboard shortcuts. My problem is that I would really like to 'memorise' multiple items of text (sources). Today, for example, I discovered a family who appeared in three U.K. censuses. Each member, therefore, needed facts from each of the three (census, occupation, address, etc). Accordingly it would be useful to be able to 'memorise' multiple sources to paste them as required. I assumed that unallocated pfks would be the obvious solution, if there was the ability to 'program' them.
Charlie.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

It will make it a little easier if you use Memorize and Paste so you can copy the entire source citation to another fact. It is one source at a time instead of one field within a source at a time. Being able to Memorize multiple citations at a time is on the development list. 

On the Citation Manager screen, where you see the source listed for a person, you highlight one. Then click Memorize and go to another person or fact and open that Citation Manager. Now you click Paste and the earlier citation is copied there.  You can keep pasting to as many other facts and people as you want. Paste even works when you reopen the program. I can pickup right were I left off on a project. The only time you can no longer Paste is if you deleted the citation you originally Memorized from. 

If you have a new source you want to Memorize and Paste you will need to repeat the process. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thank you, I'm sure that will help a lot. I'll look forward to upgrading when multiple 'memorises' work through the system. In the meantime the existing program is both a superb and stable database.

#6 joe bloggs

joe bloggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

Have you tried Clipx (www.bluemars.org/clipx/)
It is very useful clipboard history manager.

#7 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

That's a good idea.  It's small but free.

The clipboard manager I have long used is not free, and I see the price has gone up, but it is so powerful!  ClipCache Pro

It lets you organize saved snips into folders, like boilerplate etc, and you can assign any key combination to any of them as hotkeys.  You can also set it up to do a series of pastes in order.  Plus at any time access the clipboard history, and lots more (but not free).

#8 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Rob and Joe, that sounds like a plan I'll follow the links and give it a shot.

#9 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

In case it is of use to others, I have downloaded Clipx and it gives me the functionality I needed. Simply pressing CTRL-SHIFT-INSERT brings up a list of items recently copied to the clipboard (using CTRL-C) and a simple click on the item required (in my case references) pastes it into the Roots Magic field selected. I understand that the program will also handle bitmap copies.

Thank you so much Joe and Rob. I'm sure that ClipCachePro has far more functionality but at $29.99 I think that I will stick to the 'freebee'!