3 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

I had a tree on Ancestry that had been there for many years, but I have done all my recent updates on MyHeritage. The MyHeritage tree was started from a GEDCOM export from ancestry.com.

I've been eagerly awaiting the TreeSync, and once it was available I pulled the ancestry.com down and imported a GEDCOM I'd exported from MyHeritage.

I'm fighting two problems.

First is the duplicate checking doesn't seem to work with any reliability. I know I'd have about 1500 duplicates when I imported and RootsMagic found only about 400 of them. The remainder I've had to find one at a time.  Since I have 8100 people in the database this in not much fun.

Next is getting the tree back up on ancestry.com.  I see the point of reviewing updates carefully, but I have about 6000 totally new people that it looks like I have to push up one at a time. Am I missing something?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

I guess I'm missing what your doing. Are you downloading the Ancestry & MyHeritage trees and then merging them into your current RM database?  You could just upload a new tree otherwise you will need to make changes one at a time.

With the duplicate search merge you can expand the settings to get more potential matches. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

It's sounding like I need to upload them one at a time. I would beg for a means to rapidly get "new" up. Those of us with 1000's to upload will need to spend literally months clicking.

My exact scenario. Tree on ancestry.com, much larger tree on myheritage.com that was started years ago from the ancestry.com tree. I created a brand new RM database, linked and synced with ancestry. Exported GEDCOM from MyHeritage, imported it into the freshly created RM database that was synced with ancestry.com.

There were roughly 2100 in the ancestry.com tree, 7600 in the MyHeritage tree. That means at least 5500 one at a time uploads. Assuming 15 seconds per upload (counting the clicking) that's 23 hours. If we assume a minute each to compare and click the remaining 2100 that's another 35 hours. Clearly you can see my concern.

As far as the duplicate matching I've been see numerous cases where the criteria I used should have found the duplicates, but didn't. I'm talking cases where I've merged the two parents and four children with the same first and last names are duplicated, or I've merged one parent and the two spouses with the identical names are not found. Either I'm radically misinterpreting what the parameters do, or RM is getting overloaded with the number of duplicates and giving up.

I assume the latter because I can manually merge a few duplicates, then do an RM search and it'll find a few. I resolve them and get to the point it finds none, then manually merging a few more will allow RM to find more. This is without doing any alteration other than manual merges or tinkering with the parameters.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

I agree that uploading each person one at a time would take forever. Auto-syncing is still on the development list. 

For now, what I would do is clean up the RM database and then upload new trees to Ancestry and MyHeritage. I know hinting would be an issue, since they would get generated again. You could use groups or colors to filter out those you don't want to see their hints again. 

Renee
RootsMagic