Photo

Improving RootsMagic to do COMPLETE and proper family trees.

Spouses Marriages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HANWELL A.

HANWELL A.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Dear Forum readers,
..... For many years I have produced and printed good-quality family trees containing the first known pair of ancestors, ALL their children, ALL their Grandchildren. ALL of their great Grandchildren, their spouses AND all the birth, marriage and death dates etc, using Microsoft Excel. 
..... When the next version of RootsMagic comes out, I hope that it will be improved so that it is possible to do the same and to display and print COMPLETE family trees. For years, I have wanted to purchase a GedCom compatible program, but I refuse to do so until I can find one which is capable of producing and printing COMPLETE family trees. Even RootsMagic 7 is still unable to do this, so I have to stay with Excel.
..... Regards, HANWELL A.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

It's not clear to me how RM's descendant, narrative reports do not meet your criteria. Could you explain further?

Beware that I'm interpreting your criteria very literally. If I may speculate, I suspect that you may have some broader but unstated criteria. For example, RM's descendant, narrative reports will do not include spouses of spouses and hence do not include half-siblings and their descendants. RM's descendant, narrative reports also do not include children of spouses by previous or subsequent marriages. Such items are correctly omitted for the narrow genealogical goal of reporting on the first known pair along with all their spouses and descendants. But such items are often needed for the broader goal of reporting on family history including children raised by descendants without being the biological children of descendants. Adoption facts can handle some such situations, but certainly not all of them.

Jerry

. . 

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I agree with Jerry.

You might be interested in the web sites generated from RootsMagic GEDCOMS by John Cardinal's GedSite program. These can show "complete family trees" as you seem to be defining them,  but GedSite does not produce print output.