4 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

In the UPDATE HISTORY post for version 7.5.1 it states that the issue of duplicating sources has been resolved:

FIXED: Transferring a source already on Ancestry doesn't duplicate it anymore

SO -- has anyone thought about the best procedure to deal with all of those duplicate sources?

As I see it I have 3 options:

• Ignore the duplicates
  • Work thru my tree one at a time removing the duplicates and using treeshare to update the facts (medium to large tree)
  • unlinking my tree and uploading a new tree

#2 sueanderson

sueanderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

I am 

trying to find out the same answer

#3 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

I am relatively new to Roots Magic so am still exploring its features.  The other day, I did notice that there are options within RM to "merge" and "auto merge" sources (Lists > Source List > Automerge or Merge).  I wonder if that might be the answer to your problem.

Might be an idea to first set up a test tree with a couple of duplicate sources to see if a merge solves the problem for you.  If you decide to try this out on your main tree, don't forget to do a backup first - just in case.

#4 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

Since I had another issue I wanted to clean up, I

• cleaned up some of my sources
  • disconnected my tree
  • disconnected my DNA kits from the tree
  • uploaded my RM data to a NEW tree -- different name
  • deleted my old tree
  • connected my DNA kits to my new tree
  • connected the We're Related app to my new tree
  • started working thru the hints on my pedigree (to make them disappear since I already have the data in my tree)

With the DNA kits, there are MAJOR downsides to doing this! My shared hints are gone and will be slow to come back. My circles are messed up (says I have 27 and only shows 4). Ancestry is having issues with the shared hints and the circles (verified by phone call to support after waiting 2 weeks on previous tree).

Unfortunately, the 'duplicated sources' are still there on Ancestry. For example, Leon Russel Crawford, the family Bible is cited for his birth. There is a second listing of the family Bible that is tied to the marriage.  His death certificate is listed 5 times.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8364 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

On Ancestry you are probably seeing the citations and not the sources. Each usage of that citation in RM will have a corresponding citation in Ancestry. So if the birth and death had a citation you would see it listed twice on the Ancestry Sources or Other Sources on the website. They are really what we call citations and not sources. 

Renee
RootsMagic