Photo

What if the repository is not a building?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GenealogyNovice

GenealogyNovice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi, 

I want to cite a copy of my mother's birth certificate. I am using the "Vital Records (state, certificates)" source template. It is asking me for the repository and its location. How would I fill out that information if I got the copy from her personally and not from a county clerk's office?

Thanks. 

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

You can Create a Repository and call it whatever you want, e.g. "Mother's Personal Papers", "Our Family Records", or whatever you want to call it. Or you could leave Repository blank. It's not mandatory, but is intended to show where the document referred to can be found if you/anyone needs to find it again in the future.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 GenealogyNovice

GenealogyNovice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

You can Create a Repository and call it whatever you want, e.g. "Mother's Personal Papers", "Our Family Records", or whatever you want to call it. Or you could leave Repository blank. It's not mandatory, but is intended to show where the document referred to can be found if you/anyone needs to find it again in the future.

Mervyn

Okay, thank you. 

#4 allblack

allblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

Follow up questions, how much it would cost?

Dispatcher at 4WheelOnline by day, forumer by night.

#5 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

I have to admit that I for one don't understand the questions, so anything I say may be way off the mark.

A repository is just a place where records are kept.  It could be your home, it could be a library, it could be a corporate datacenter, it could be a government data archive.  I can't think of any process involved, and I don't know what costs you are asking about.  When asked about a repository, you are simply being asked where the record is.  If *you* have the document, your place is a repository, and you can call your place anything you want.  Is it possible that you are over thinking it?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

I am beginning to suspect that allblack is a troll, maybe even robotic. Joined Aug 1, six posts, none showing any knowledge of or exposure to either RM or genealogy. Best to ignore. If it persists, Admin can deal with it.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2611 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

The rule of thumb in Evidence Explained is that you do not list repositories for evidence that is widely available, but that listing repositories is essential for evidence that is available only in one location. I think I agree with the spirit of what Evidence Explained says, but I'm not sure that I totally agree with quite the way Evidence Explained says it. I think the issue is whether something is clearly publicly available or not and if the public location or locations can be easily determined, even if the public availability is only from one location.

Most states or counties, depending on the level of the record, only have a single Vital Records department. But the singleness of the repository does not in my mind mean you have to list the repository if it's clear and in the public domain what the repository is. I think the repository for your mother's birth certificate is very clear and in the public domain - it's the county clerk's office. It doesn't matter whether she got the birth certificate from the county clerk's office and passed it along to you or whether you got it from the county clerk's office yourself. The repository is still the county clerk's office. So you don't need to list a repository.

Evidence Explained goes on to say that you might want to have your own documentation of where you got the record. You would say that you got it from your mother and that as far as you know she got it from the county clerk's office. But that wouldn't help anybody else find the record so it wouldn't appear in your citation. Somebody else would just do a Google search for birth certificates in your state or county and discover the current location of the office in question - which might not even be the same location as the office was when your mother got the birth certificate.

Jerry

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Interesting points, Tom and Jerry. Oh, I LIKED saying that !!!

I still wish, that, like some earlier versions of FO or RM, I could include a Repositories list in my reports. I think my audience would be interested to see how many, and how far flung, my research trips have been.

#9 allblack

allblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

I am beginning to suspect that allblack is a troll, maybe even robotic. Joined Aug 1, six posts, none showing any knowledge of or exposure to either RM or genealogy. Best to ignore. If it persists, Admin can deal with it.

Sorry for that. If that's the case.

Dispatcher at 4WheelOnline by day, forumer by night.