16 replies to this topic

#1 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Roots Magic keeps telling me there is an update available. After I run the update (7.5.1.0), the message keeps re-appearing. The Help file indicates that I have 7.5.0 installed. I downloaded the latest version from the Roots Magic Software Updates page on your web site. Is there a problem with this latest update?

Joyce

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6839 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

This has been reported to development.  We are releasing update 7.5.1.0. today, so we should get this fixed pretty soon.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BarryBoyer

BarryBoyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

What I find interesting is the update is listed as 7.5.0.6 of 13 July 2017. It appears that there never was a version with that number.

Love RootsMagic but that does not mean the software cannot cause one to go crazy.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6839 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Seems like we had the last internal test version 7.5.0.6 in the update and the update installer is looking for the release version 7.5.1.0. (They are identical but for version numbers.) Development is working on this, and the auto-update is down right now. But, if you actually were able to download 7.5.0.6 you have the new features.

You can see a list of what is included in the 7.5.1.0 update here - http://forums.rootsm...update-history/

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

Earlier today, I opened Roots Magic 7.5.0.0 which I run on a Mac and was notified of an update to version 7.5.1.  The update appeared to install but clearly did not as the update was again offered when I reopened Roots Magic.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roots Magic but still cannot get the 7.5.1 update to install.

Is this particular issue specific to Macs?  Grateful for any help in resolving the problem, please.  Many thanks.

#6 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

No, it's not just Mac version users.  I've tried to update a Mac Installation and a Windows installation and get the same result. Download appears to install, program relaunches and says an update is available.

I think the problem arises because the download is Version 7.5.0.6 but the program is expecting 7.5.1.

Some people seem to have reported getting the 7.5.1 update, so there is probably some problem with the servers for some locations, which may not be corrected until after the weekend.

Incidentally, the downloaded update can usually be found in the Folder: C:/Users/'Username'/Appdata/Local/Temp in a Windows System and drive_c/Users/Username/Temp within a Mac.app if you know how to explore the structure of the app.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#7 Limni

Limni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

I have exactly the same problem as MacRooter on my MacBook Pro. The update appears to install but is suggested again as RootsMagic reopens. The About RootsMagic window confirms that the version installed remains at 7.5.0.0. I have repeated the process and restarted the computer without success. I too would welcome advice. 

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1079 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

I'm running Win7, and got a successful update to 7.5.1.0 on my first attempt. I like seeing the update reminder, but I always quit RM and go to the RM download page in my browser (usually Chrome) and manually download the update file. I've been using and teaching computers since the early 1980's, and I prefer to manage updates manually rather than to trust an automatic process. Is that just old-school habits? Maybe, but it works for me.

#9 Limni

Limni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

I have attempted to follow zhangrau's method for updates, but without success. I appears that - unlike for Windows - there is no specific installer for 7.5.1.0 for RootsMagic for Mac on the RootsMagic updates page. The recommended procedure for updating RootsMagic 7 is the one I have tried unsuccessfully.

#10 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Unless you have Crossover software, i.e. the software that the RootsMagic for Mac app was created with, then I believe the only option is to wait for the problem server link to the 7.5.1 update to be resolved by RootsMagic Support as there is no other way to apply updates to the app.  Presumably this will be sorted immediately after their weekend break.  However, if you've already run the update process I think you may well find that the 'mis-named' 7.5.0.6 has been applied and that the 'new' features may well be available, even though the application willl continue to report that an update to 7.5.1 is available for download.

For users who create their own 'RootsMagic for Mac' app with WINE or one of the alternative WINE 'management applications' such as Wineskin or PlayOnMac the update process is similar to applying manual updating in Windows.  I used the automatic update using PlayOnMac and found that 7.5.0.6 had been installed even though RootsMagic was still reporting that it was 7.5.0.0, but have now applied 4.5.1.0 from a manual download but haven't found any differences so far.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#11 Limni

Limni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thank you, mjashby. I must admit that I have not used TreeShare yet as I was waiting for the 7.5.1 update. I will check whether I might have downloaded 7.5.0.6 soon.

#12 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

Thank you for all your replies to my post.  I must admit that I am relieved to learn that I am not the only one with this problem.

I have again tried updating RM 7.5.0.0 through the update offered within the programme and also by uninstalling it and downloading and reinstalling it on my Mac.  All to no avail.  I am still well and truly stuck on version 7.5.0.0 with no sign of any of the new features which version 7.5.1 promises.

I have tried the same process on Windows 10 - again, without success.  As mjashby suggests, I think the only option open to me now is to wait for Roots Magic Support to resolve this issue.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks, again, everybody.

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6839 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've let development know there is an issue for some users getting the 7.5.1 update. Where are you located?

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Renee

Thank you very much.  I am in the UK.  Judging from comments on http://forums.rootsm...date-installed/, other UK users seem to be having the same problem.

#15 Limni

Limni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Thank you, Renee. I am in the UK also, using RootsMagic for Mac.

#16 GandGA

GandGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

Also in the UK, I have just had another attempt at the update to 7.5.1. It still doesn't seem to work, the offer of the update is still there on reopening and the About window still says 5.0

George

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6839 posts

Posted Today, 08:16 AM

If you already have the UK version installed you can download the US version to update for now.  It will keep your UK settings.

http://www.rootsmagi...d/rootsmagic-7/

Renee
RootsMagic