8 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

With reports of problems with both the iOS update to 1.3 and with the corresponding update to the Android version which I also experienced, I checked my iPad. The app still works on my old iPad 2, still downloads from DropBox even though it is running the Dec 2015 version 1.2.1 and despite not having done the update to 1.3 for the DropBox API rev. I'm wondering whether there is any merit in updating to 1.3 if it means risking breaking something.

What does seem to be different from before is that repeated RootsMagic 7.5 Save to Dropbox results in serialized files on Dropbox instead of one file whose name does not change and whose change in timestamp triggers a notice in the iPad app. Now I get no no notice and I have to manually select and download the new file and delete the old from my device.

I don't know if the multiple versions of the database file on Dropbox is a consequence of a change in the API or a change in the way RM 7.5 uses the API. I haven't made much use of it so I cannot identify when it began.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

It's the changes Dropbox made to their API, which forced the recent update to the RM App. It would have stopped working with Dropbox completely otherwise. We have noticed it won't update the existing file on Dropbox like it used to. Instead it creates a new file, which you then have to select on the device. That's something RootsMagic has no control over. It's a new behavior for Dropbox.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Then I think I will stick with 1.2.1 until it stops working with Dropbox because it seems that others are finding that 1.3 does not work.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

We have noticed it won't update the existing file on Dropbox like it used to. Instead it creates a new file, which you then have to select on the device. That's something RootsMagic has no control over. It's a new behavior for Dropbox.

If I drag'n'drop from Windows 10 File Manager to the Dropbox web page in the Chrome browser, the file is not renamed. So maybe RootsMagic can still have control of renaming through the API but just hasn't chosen the right option?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

If I drag'n'drop from Windows 10 File Manager to the Dropbox web page in the Chrome browser, the file is not renamed. So maybe RootsMagic can still have control of renaming through the API but just hasn't chosen the right option?

I will pass that along to development in case they haven't looked. That Dropbox API is rather a different animal.

I have an iPad 2 that I did testing with and don't have any issue with that top green bar being blank. So far it looks like smaller iOS devices like the iPhone are having this display issue. This is the first time we have run across displays acting differently in the iOS version. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

I honestly haven't kept up with all the various ways to provide the mobile app with a copy of the RM database (and there are quite a few such ways). I found a way that works for me and I have just stuck with it. Namely, I was a Dropbox user before the mobile app was released. As an existing Dropbox user, it was sufficient to place a copy of my .rmgc file into a folder called \Dropbox\Apps\Rootsmagic and the mobile app could then find the file without difficulty on both my iPhone and my iPad (I don't own any Android devices). I just do the copy of my .rmgc file into the \Dropbox\Apps\Rootsmagic folder from the File Explorer app in Windows (the app formerly known as Windows explorer).

I'm assuming that the method I have chosen would not be affected by the Dropbox changes. Which is to say, I don't think my method involves the Dropbox API. Is that correct? And exactly what is the method you can use to provide the mobile app with the .rmgc file which does run into the problem with the Dropbox API?

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

File > Save to Dropbox
goes through the API.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

File > Save to Dropbox
goes through the API.

Thx. That means that I am unaffected by the Dropbox change.

Jerry

#9 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

[It's the changes Dropbox made to their API, which forced the recent update to the RM App. It would have stopped working with Dropbox completely otherwise. We have noticed it won't update the existing file on Dropbox like it used to. Instead it creates a new file, which you then have to select on the device. That's something RootsMagic has no control over. It's a new behavior for Dropbox]

So we just have to live it I guess.