19 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5461 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

Having read accounts of others having a problem with the RM App on Android phones since the June 30 update for a new DropBox API, I installed RM for the first time on a Moto G4 Play phone (Android 6). On launching, I get the error message that "RootsMagic has stopped working".

The app still works on my old iPad 2, still downloads from DropBox even though it is running the Dec 2015 version 1.2.1 and despite not having done the update to 1.3 for the DropBox API rev.   

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

I am confirming we are finding issues which seem device specific, so we are tracking all of them down for development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

Renee

Could you please add Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo to your list of devices?  I updated the Roots Magic App a few days ago and am also getting the "Unfortunately Roots Magic has stopped" message when I try to open the app.

Thank you.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

I have passed that along to development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Thank you, Renee

#6 kthawkins

kthawkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Renee,

Can you add the Samsung Note Samsung Note 4 to the problem devices please.

I haven't been able to start the app since the update.

I've re-installed but still get the error.

Kevin

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Yes, that is on the list of devices with this issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 postalcae

postalcae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Same with galaxy s5.  Can the list be published so others will know that the issue for their device has been reported?

#9 gcgonzalez

gcgonzalez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hi Renee - I originally posted this on the IOS thread so I am reposting here.  I am having the same issues on my  HTC 10.  When I try to load the RM7 file from DropBox, nothing shows on the screen.  I don't even have the option to refresh/load existing databases. It's just a gray screen.  I have RM version 7.5.2.0 on my pc and just reinstalled the app on my phone (version 1.3).  I love having the information at my fingertips whenever I need to check on something.  I hope this gets resolved soon.  If you need beta testers for android phones, I would be a willing participant.   :)

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi Renee - I originally posted this on the IOS thread so I am reposting here.  I am having the same issues on my  HTC 10.  When I try to load the RM7 file from DropBox, nothing shows on the screen.  I don't even have the option to refresh/load existing databases. It's just a gray screen.  I have RM version 7.5.2.0 on my pc and just reinstalled the app on my phone (version 1.3).  I love having the information at my fingertips whenever I need to check on something.  I hope this gets resolved soon.  If you need beta testers for android phones, I would be a willing participant.   :)

Open a support ticket Attn: Renee, and I will see if there is a way for development to give you the version we are testing right now.

http://support.rootsmagic.com/anonymous_requests/new 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 RichardS

RichardS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

It has also stopped working on my Samsung C5 (SM-C5000) nor my Samsung S5 (SM-G900f) both unning Android 6.0.1.

Is it not worth posting a note on Google Play Store about the problem and you are working on a solution, perhaps even removing this new version and reverting to the previous until fixed. You are getting a lot of bad press about this latest update (current rating only 2.7)?

Richard

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

We can't revert back to the previous version because of the changes Dropbox made to their API. The next version is in beta testing and should be available pretty soon.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 RichardS

RichardS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the update Renee

#14 MacRooter

MacRooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have just updated the Roots Magic app on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo and it is working again!

My thanks to Renee and Development for sorting this out.

#15 RichardS

RichardS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Same for me: working on both my Samsung devices.

Well done team!

Richard

#16 amkling

amkling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

Just installed the app for the first time (version 1.4) on android and it does not work on my Samsung Galaxy S2. Tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling, cleared cache -- all I ever get is a blank screen. I verified my files are on Dropbox. Any suggestions??

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

Make sure the files you have in the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder are database files .rmgc and not backups.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 bes_stpmn@yahoo.com

bes_stpmn@yahoo.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

I just installed the 1.4 version of the RM app on my Galaxy S6 (7.0, July 1 patch). It still stops every time I open it. my DB files are .rmgc as well. More than once I have uninstalled / reinstalled, powered off / powered on / cleared cache.

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7085 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

Inside RM run the File>Database Tools all options in consecutive order. This will rule out any database corruption. Then upload to your device through Dropbox.  You might also want to do a complete uninstall and reinstall if that doesn't work. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#20 bes_stpmn@yahoo.com

bes_stpmn@yahoo.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

Thank you. That worked.