Photo

Ok my RMv3 is telling me it is ready to retire. Update tips to v7?

update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maria_rootdigger

maria_rootdigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

I would like a smooth data transition if possible. I think most families are ok (data structure wise).
But I have one family that seems to open fine, but if I try to change from the root person, the screen data is blank, then error; close messages.  Any tricks out there so I don't end up just transferring the problem to RM7?
Of course it is a family with 7-10 children per generation. Would like to avoid having to re-populate data if possible.

Thanks

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

I never used RM3 but I had used Family Origins 9 and upgraded to RM 4. It was possible to examine those databases with MS Access or with xBase and one might be able to deduce and fix what was wrong. But I would simply go ahead and import the RM3 database into the later version and see what happens. No harm will come to the original and you do not need to purchase the program to find out - the free Essentials will do.

I would not be surprised if you get an error with RM 7.5 trying to import your RM3 file. I saw it importing a RM4 and so I downloaded the last update of RM5 which succeeded and from which file the 7.5 import went okay.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

In RM3 go to File>Rebuild Indexes and see if that helps. If the direct import of the RM3 database into RM7 won't work then try a GEDCOM.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 maria_rootdigger

maria_rootdigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I did a trial run of essentials, and the family file structure was fine, able to edit, move around, and select any individual and create a report.

Followed by a new purchase (vs upgrade) and we are good to go.

:D