#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Question that I can not find answer for in help or in video for Tree Share - 

It seems I have to accept or reject Ancestry record hints in order to close them in RM. If I ignore them, they continue to be open/pending.This is also true of member tree hints. Often times I do not want to review some of those. The review and accept process can be very time consuming, and I may recognize that I already have the data without needing to review the item. I know it does not take long per item, but if you have thousands of persons in your tree, it adds up.

Is there a way to close hints without having to review and accept/reject?

Thanks
Rick

ps - I would like to see an option whether or not to show member tree hints

RickL

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

On Ancestry, under Home > My Account > Site Preferences, the very first option is "Display Ancestry Member Tree Hints in your tree(s)". Uncheck that and eventually there should be no hints from other Member Trees in any of your Ancestry trees. And that should affect what RootsMagic gets from the connected Ancestry Tree. I've heard reports of some delay. 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

That said, because the Ancestry setting is for all of your Ancestry trees, I can see that it might be desirable to have a File setting in RootsMagic that could filter out hints from Ancestry trees so that they could be allowed for one database-tree pair but not for another database-tree pair. However, I don't know if the API conveys any info to RM about the type of hint other than its Pending|Confirmed|Rejected status. So it might not be possible for RM to so filter them.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

Thanks much, I was just looking in the wrong place for the option......

I think I will just turn off the member tree hints. No offense intended to anyone, but I do not use them much anyway. If I have a person in my tree that I can't find any info for, I can always search on Ancestry, Family Search, etc. for records and other family trees.

Appreciate the help

Rick

RickL

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

As stated previously, I turned off "Display Ancestry Member Tree Hints in your tree(s)". So far I have seen no difference in Tree Share. However, I don't fully understand the Ancestry system hints logic, but I suspect that any hints passed to my tree in RM, before I turned off the display of Ancestry Member Tree Hints, are probably still showing up until I clear them. Can't tell for sure yet if any new ones are still coming across. FYI

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7301 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Version 7.5.1.0 that is being released today will have the ability to select which Ancestry WebHints you want to receive.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

OK, I got the update but nothing about what it did. I assumed it was probably a mix of fixes.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7301 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

You can see the list of new and fixed items in the update here - http://forums.rootsm...update-history/

Go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry to select which types of WebHints you want to receive from Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 lapsang

lapsang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

To put this another way--I would also like to dismiss/ignore hints selectively without actually rejecting.  E.g., I do not wish to turn off the tree hints altogether, as there are some researchers I work with and would like to leave their trees in "pending" status on an ongoing basis, but there are people I know who have simply taken their research from me or are otherwise not worth me reviewing their dubious information.  In the second case, the hint does technically apply to an individual, so I shouldn't reject it.  I would just like RM to stop reminding me that I have these hints in "pending" status because I will never confirm or deny them.

The way I imagine it is that if I have 13 hints, with 8 accepted, 3 rejected, and 2 pending, I could selectively "dismiss" the two final hints.  Then there would be no icon on my tree to click on, meaning I have fully reconciled the hints for this person.  However, if I wanted to view the status of all web hints, I could still open the dialog box and see them (maybe under Tools?).  If a new member tree pops up, the flag would come back, and I would know new information is available.

A reporting feature would also be lovely, even if it is just a count by service or source.

Thanks for all your hard work on this marvelous software.

Ashley

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7301 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

There is an undecided button on the WebHints. If you mark the ones you don't want to Accept or Reject as Undecided the light-bulb will turn white, showing they have been all worked.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 lapsang

lapsang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Renee!  I didn't know what would happen if I clicked undecided, so I never gave it a shot!  Appreciate the quick answer.