• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

I have deleted and reinstalled the iPad App on my iPad mini. It still does not recognize the updated RootsMagic file saved to Dropbox.

This problem started within the past week. Prior to that, whenever I opened the app, it recognized the RM file had been updated in DropBox and asked if I wished to sync the iPad with the changed file.

Can anyone advise me on how to fix this?

Thank you,

Blanche

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Do you have the Dropbox App on your iPad mini too?  I have seen have both the RM App and the Dropbox App installed on the device fix these issues. Also make sure that you restarted your device after you updated the app. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Thank you for the response. I have DropBox installed on my IPad mini as well as the RootsMagic app. I did a hard restart and the RM app still does not sync with DropBox. Can you suggest anything else to try? Thanks.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

RM developer has some digging to do to sort out a flurry of problems that have arisen since the update to 1.3. My Android phone cannot start the app and the same has been reported for several other types.

I haven't updated my iPad 2 from 1.2.1 and it still works with Dropbox, even though its API is supposed to have been changed and become unusable with that version.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Thank you for the response. I have DropBox installed on my IPad mini as well as the RootsMagic app. I did a hard restart and the RM app still does not sync with DropBox. Can you suggest anything else to try? Thanks.

Are you using File>Save to Dropbox for Apps to send your file to the device?

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

No. I manually copy my RootsMagic 7  file from my laptop to DropBox/Apps/RootsMagic - this is all done on my laptop. DropBox is installed on my laptop and uploads the file as soon as I copy it to the Apps/RootsMagic folder.

Just checked the RM app again on my iPad mini and it still does not sync. I have to manually download my RM file from DropBox to my iPad each time I make a change, which is usually daily. I do this from inside the RM App installed on my iPad.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Just want to make clear what I am doing.  Thanks

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

It would be correct to need to load the update database to the app as you make changes to it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Before I started this thread, when I opened the RM app on my iPad and selected the file I wished to open (only have one file), the app would say that there was a more recent version available and do I want to sync it. That is my entire problem - the app won't sync with the file in DropBox, unless I do it manually by downloading the current file from DropBox.

I want the app to recognize that there is a newer version of the RM file resident in DropBox since the last time I opened the app. I know this used to work. I've used the app since it first became available.

What steps should I take to make the RM tech folks aware of this problem?  Maybe the last app update removed the "ask to sync" function? I'd like to know.

Thanks

#9 Elizabeth Marchesani

Elizabeth Marchesani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

When i open my Roots Magic File on my laptop and tell is to save to Dropbox I get an error message that says something about it cannot connect to to socket ??

#10 hagarson

hagarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Looks like my iPhone updated the Roots Magic app to version 1.3 yesterday (7/3/17). Now the bar along the top is a blank light green, with no title nor button to bring up the Surname List. What's up is there a fix.

Thanks

Bem

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

When i open my Roots Magic File on my laptop and tell is to save to Dropbox I get an error message that says something about it cannot connect to to socket ??

Make sure you have update 7.5.1.0 installed (Help>About RootsMagic). The Dropbox API changed and you need that version.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

Looks like my iPhone updated the Roots Magic app to version 1.3 yesterday (7/3/17). Now the bar along the top is a blank light green, with no title nor button to bring up the Surname List. What's up is there a fix.

Thanks

Bem

Issue been sent to development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Before I started this thread, when I opened the RM app on my iPad and selected the file I wished to open (only have one file), the app would say that there was a more recent version available and do I want to sync it. That is my entire problem - the app won't sync with the file in DropBox, unless I do it manually by downloading the current file from DropBox.

I want the app to recognize that there is a newer version of the RM file resident in DropBox since the last time I opened the app. I know this used to work. I've used the app since it first became available.

What steps should I take to make the RM tech folks aware of this problem?  Maybe the last app update removed the "ask to sync" function? I'd like to know.

Thanks

With the latest Dropbox API change they appear to no longer write over the current file when you save it. It will add a (1), (2), etc after the file name. You need to select the new file in order to download it.

Renee
RootsMagic