• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Duane Barton

Duane Barton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

After creating a new tree on ancestry by transfering 26K+ records using Treeshare, I noticed that the sources duplicated for every fact - a duplicate Ancestry source record is created for each event associated with that Rootsmagic source as opposed to the singular source that exists in Rootsmagic that is assigned to each event. And this occurs even if the citation detail is the same. For instance, if my name is the source for the facts name, birth and death in Rootsmagic, there is 1 source that is referenced by each of the 3 facts. After using Treeshare, the individual that was created in Ancestry now has 3 identical source records (my name) with each being assigned to 1 event (name, birth, death). This has created a massive amount of clean up work for me. Conversely, when syncing back to Rootsmagic from Ancestry, those same sources become duplicated back into Rootsmagic thus creating a new clean up adventure there. Example, if I added an Ancestry source to any event and synced back to Rootsmagic, those 3 source records (my name) now get created as individual source records back in Rootsmagic in addition to what was already there (now 4 identical source records are in Rootsmagic).

I hope this is clear...

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

On Ancestry when you look at the Sources for the person. Think citations. There will be a citation for every usage in RM for that fact. They are not master sources as we think of them in RootsMagic.  So if you have the identical source citation for the name, birth, and death fact you will find 3 citations listed on Ancestry under sources. Clicking on each fact you will see the corresponding citation for that fact. RootsMagic doesn't reuse citations, each are independent of each other.  Reusing them is something development is looking at in the future.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Duane Barton

Duane Barton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Well if I am able to clean them up and make one "citation" point to multiple events, or "Associated Fact" as Ancestry calls them, then I find that to be an issue with the interface. Just the same as if I bring that record back into Rootsmagic and it now creates 3 new duplicate sources from that "citation". That's a problem, not a wonderful feature!

#4 Duane Barton

Duane Barton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Basically, if Rootsmagic software has the ability to maintain data a certain way and Ancestry also has the ability to maintain data that same way, I expect that the interface will parse that data between the 2 systems exactly the same way so it behaves no different in either system. That is NOT what is happening here. As far as I can see, Treeshare is good for a one way load only at this point - either to Ancestry from Rootsmagic or vice-versa, but not for updates. You're in trouble if you use it to update.

#5 Guest_Lingbro_*

Guest_Lingbro_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

I have a similar situation.  Sometimes when I make changes to or add a fact, The RM source turns red (or it could be Ancestry, or both).  When I compare the source, they are identical.  I'll redo the process & accept changes again, but the source still remains red, no changes.  Since Ancestry is just my secondary resource tool, and RM is my primary, and my source in RM is correct and what I want - I go into "Ignore" and just consider this a "nagging bug" that one day might be fixed.