• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kapiper1950

kapiper1950

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I imported an FTW file (last modified in 2009) to RM7. The given names and surnames are all reversed. Can I make a global fix? I tried to edit one, but it doesn't work. It just adds what I type in to what it already has.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8450 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

I remember working with someone that had this similar issue importing from PAF. The problem was they entered the names incorrectly in PAF using surname then given name, so they could only import "reversed". There isn't a global fix inside of RootsMagic. I don't recall anyone finding a way to do it outside of RootsMagic either.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

It can be done with a SQLite statement against the RootsMagic database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 kapiper1950

kapiper1950

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

TomH:

I haven't used SQL in over 15 years. I will see if I can fire up an old Windows machine with FTM and see if it is backwards there. It was all entered by my dad. Last update was 2014. 

Anyone: Would I have better luck importing a GEDCOM file? I can export that from FTM; in fact I think I have some I exported several years ago.

Thanks all. I have been using computers for nearly 50 years, but I am a total newbie to RootsMagic.

Ken

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

If all the names are reversed, then this statement should do the trick:

UPDATE NameTable SET Given = Surname, Surname = Given;

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

I don't know SQLite yet, whether it performs this safely, any chance you might have to do an additional juggle, to avoid losing Given before it's copied to Surname?

temp = Surname

Surname = Given

Given = temp

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

No, you don't have to juggle because the changes are in the same statement. Besides, you would run it against a copy of the database file or make a backup first.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3567 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

UPDATE NameTable SET Given = Surname, Surname = Given;

Tom has already answered, but to add to his answer. To create the "juggling" problem, you would have to write the statement as 

UPDATE NameTable SET Given   = Surname;
UPDATE NameTable SET Surname = Given;

So DON"T DO THAT!

Many SQL statements look suspiciously like statements in conventional programming languages that are procedural languages. But you have to remember that SQL is a non-procedural language, and that many SQL statements do not act quite like their analogs from the procedural world.

Jerry