• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nabristow

nabristow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

After installing RM6 with updates (6.3.3.2) I chose to import a large database (5,000+ individuals, most with notes and/or sources) from PAF4 by clicking on that option.
  The process went quickly and apparently smoothly. As I began to check out the RMfeatures I came to realize that only the default events (Birth-Death-Buried) and associated source notes were imported. None of the other types of events I had created over the years in PAF appeared in RM6.
  The list of 'facts' in RM closely matches 'events' in PAF, so I don't see why RM6 did not import such events as 'census'.
  I have checked F1 in RM6 and gone to the webinar indexes without any leads.
   What can I do to import these data?

1.     Is there a menu to include/exclude types of data to import?
  2.     Does RM6 create an error/omission report?
  3.     Would creating a GEDCOM from PAF and importing that work any better?

Otherwise I'm impressed with RM features and flexibility.

Thanks for any help.

~ Neil Allen Bristow

PS: A previous version of this post to this forum either did not register or evaporated over the weekend.  Gremlins?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1079 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

I've never been a PAF user, but I can offer some thoughts.

In RM, under Lists > Fact Type List we can set, for each Fact Type, whether that data should be included in GEDCOM and other uses. Does PAF have such a facility? Have you double-checked that GEDCOM transfer are ON or ACTIVE for every one of your PAF Events?

As for your specific questions:

1 - Not that I'm aware of. RM attempts to import everything documented in the GEDCOM.

2 - When doing a GEDCOM import, RM creates a *.LST file that lists problems during import. I would expect that it would similarly do this on importing a PAF file, but I don't use or have PAF, so I can't verify that the *.LST file is created. Look in the folder where the source PAF file resides, and also look in the folder for the imported RM file. The *.LST file will have the same base filename as the GEDCOM or PAF file.

3 - You could experiment, but it seems that TMG immigrees found that RM's direct import was preferable to a GEDCOM transfer. This is because some TMG features are not supported by GEDCOM, but could be interpreted and imported by RM.

#3 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

I too am not a PAF user.  Is there a reason you prefer importing with RM 6.3.3.2 instead of the current RM 7.5?  Seems like it could be better supported in the latest version.

#4 nabristow

nabristow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Zhangrau, RobJ:

Thanks for your quick responses.

I did not create a new GEDCOM from PAF to avoid an extra step, since RM boasts of compatibility with PAF and includes PAF as a choice in the import menu. I guess I’ll create a small GEDCOM with a variety of events/facts and see if that will import completely.

I did check both PAF and RM folders for any .lst or similar files – found nothing.

I picked up RM6 for cheap via a clearance sale mentioned in a RM News a couple of months ago just to see if it was worth the effort to migrate my data to a more flexible and up-to-date program. If so I’d upgrade to the most recent version.

Any progress or lack thereof will be posted here.

~ NAB

#5 nabristow

nabristow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Update:
  Created a sample GEDCOM from PAF4; imported that into RM6 with almost all events/facts included. The PAF to GEDCOM converter has its own peculiarities, so some data (specific dates for some events, mostly) dropped out in that stage; they were noted in a .lst file. RM did take everything in the GEDCOM, but using the .lst report to attach the dropped dates to the right people and events is a daunting prospect, though not nearly as much as entering everything.

~ NAB

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5338 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Check your version of RM6. The last update was 6.3.3.2. There have been a few fixes for PAF import over its life cycle, tho' none that strike me as serious as your experience.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.