9 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

After I input a name and save it then want to go retrieve that person to include more details it doesn't appear in the people list on the in the left hand pane?

I can see the persons name for example if i include them as a spouse I can look up their husband details and see her name recorded as his spouse yet the name doesn't appear in the main list. If I exit the program (always backing up) then open the RM back up the missing person in the list is there.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

It's a long-standing problem that the side bar is not automatically refreshed. You can trigger a refresh by some radical change in view or even a long scroll through the index and selecting another person but there is no quick, reliable way to trigger the refresh.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Tom.....least its not just me. That said i find this hard to believe that this is a long-standing problem. The number of times that i have wanted to go back to someone I just or recently added to include more details is very frequent as by the sounds of it you and many others have experienced.

I hope Renee is tuning into this conversation and has this a what i would describe as a bug on the list to fix. It really is a PITA.....

#4 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Work around that at least allows me to edit the missing person from the left hand pane.

Assumes that you have associated the missing person with someone in the database (Spouse, parent etc)

Highlight the associated person from list, pedigree, family > Select timeline > Select Person that is currently not visible and double click > Select "Edit Person" > make necessary changes and save.

This still doesn't add the name to the list however I have checked the data is saved. This is a better option than closing the program each time you want to add data to a missing from the list person.

it is at best a kludge work around I am very much of the opinion the list must be refreshed each time a new person is entered in.

Ian

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

How are you adding the person?  That could tell us in what area we need to focus. I know with TreeShare it should be adding them to the sidebar. It was working during beta testing at least. What you might need instead is to rebuild your indexes. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. The Rebuild Indexes tool is what you need, but its good to run all periodically. Skip the Compact File tool if you haven't done a fresh restart before running the database tools. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

How are you adding the person?  That could tell us in what area we need to focus. I know with TreeShare it should be adding them to the sidebar. It was working during beta testing at least. What you might need instead is to rebuild your indexes. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. The Rebuild Indexes tool is what you need, but its good to run all periodically. Skip the Compact File tool if you haven't done a fresh restart before running the database tools. 

Hi Renee,

it does seem to matter where I am adding the person in they don't appear in the in the sidebar. I have been entering some details either in pedigree mode and right click then "Add" or in family mode. Doesn't seem to matter the new names don't appear in the sidebar.  If I rebuild the index they appear. If I close RM and reopen the names appear. If I look at a relative that is associated with the person that is missing they are there and I can edit them. 

I had been selecting a known associate person in timeline and am able to see the person and edit that "missing" person. They are not missing as such they obviously are in  the database just not in the sidebar after entering a new person.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

#7 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi Renee,

it does seem to matter where I am adding the person in they don't appear in the in the sidebar. I have been entering some details either in pedigree mode and right click then "Add" or in family mode. Doesn't seem to matter the new names don't appear in the sidebar.  If I rebuild the index they appear. If I close RM and reopen the names appear. If I look at a relative that is associated with the person that is missing they are there and I can edit them. 

I had been selecting a known associate person in timeline and am able to see the person and edit that "missing" person. They are not missing as such they obviously are in  the database just not in the sidebar after entering a new person.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

I should add Renee that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes the names will appear in the sidebar. However my experience is more often than not they don't appear.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

I was hoping you could see a pattern. With a pattern we could figure out why this is happening. I know we have all seen this at times and it is annoying. The index simply doesn't refresh and rebuild indexes fixes it. If  you can spot something that can be repeated it will help us narrow this down. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

I was hoping you could see a pattern. With a pattern we could figure out why this is happening. I know we have all seen this at times and it is annoying. The index simply doesn't refresh and rebuild indexes fixes it. If  you can spot something that can be repeated it will help us narrow this down.

I will keep and eye out to see if I can find any pattern. It definitely is random as I am seeing at the moment. I have about a hundred names I am putting in today and tomorrow so I will see if there is anything that is repeatable. These types of issue are frustrating from both user and programmers perspective. Knowing that you folks at RM are keen to get on top of it once you know what the cause is, is very reassuring.

I have only been using the program for one week. The first day or so was very much about getting my head around the program, the folks here on the forum have been very helpful so nice to have a community supporting your product as they do. That said apart from what I have reported which I have been able to work around the inputting of data once you get your head around the program is very good. I have I putted 250 odd people and supporting data in the last 3 or 4 days. It helped that I have a well constructed database which I have created in Microsoft Publisher so it was more about data entry rather than research. Just keep banging the known data in.

What I have found and the beauty of RM as being a structured program is that as much I have spent time creating a database manually on a good number of occasions I have missed in my manual database from finding out maybe a place of birth, or a date which would head me off to do a mini research to get that missing bit of info that RM was asking if you had. So I am definitely making a tighter more complete and without any doubt a more manageable database as I migrate from my manual to automated with RM.

When I set out 6 months ago I thought I might finish up with 4 or 5 A4 pages of names and data. Upto 25 now and counting. So time to migrate, well past time but the manual way has been an interesting journey.

Sorry to bore you with all that. Just wanted to let you know in spite of a few minor issues I am very impressed with my experience with RM todate.

Will start getting more into the output side next week, the iOS app, online publishing and hard copy printing charts and reports. So no doubt more questions coming the forums way. Thanks again for all the assistance to date, it is appreciated.

Ian

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

I have never seen the missing names in the Sidebar Index. But it's pretty easy to produce incorrect birth and/or death dates in the Sidebar Index. All it takes is multiple birth facts or multiple death facts, and then deleting one of the multiples. Under these kinds of conditions, the code doesn't seem to recalculate the dates that are shown in the Sidebar Index, or at least the code doesn't seem always to do the recalculation. I suppose the same thing can happen if there is both a birth fact and a christening fact since christening date can serve as a surrogate for birth date if the birth date is missing.

Incorrect dates are not the same symptom as missing names, but I wonder if looking at the problem in the code that calculates dates for the Sidebar Index could help elucidate the missing person problem in the Sidebar Index.

In general, this issue of forgetting to refresh something every single time it might need to be refreshed as a tricky and painstaking programming problem. Your developers are going to have to channel their inner nerd to be painstaking and detailed enough to chase down the problem. In any case (and as you say), rebuild index fixes all such problems.

Jerry