6 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

I have spent the last few days inputting my database into RM7. 

I have experienced on a number of occasions where the notes I have saved for a family member are not saved. I would pull up a member to input something else check that the notes are there however on 5 or 6 occasions the notes are not saved. I know I have put them in and saved them as i highlight the database as I am going so I know what I have and have not entered.

I would appear that the RM7 updates the database as you enter data as it forces you to acknowledge the data you enter as you go. There is no "save" as such only the ability to back up your database as you exit the program.

Has anyone else experienced notes not being saved? It is a PITA as I have to keep going back to previously entered to notes to see if they have saved ok. I can just keep moving on, always back trcking to make sure nothing is missed.

Cheers,

Ian

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:00 AM

I have a rather large database (over 400K individuals) and can't recall seeing a problem with lost notes.

Are you sure that you are using the [Save note] button and not any of the [Cancel] button or the red [X] button or the Esc key?

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

I have a rather large database (over 400K individuals) and can't recall seeing a problem with lost notes.

Are you sure that you are using the [Save note] button and not any of the [Cancel] button or the red [X] button or the Esc key?

Hi,

Thanks again for the prompt positive response. 

Yes I have been anally checking I am hitting the save note button. 

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

Yes I have been anally checking I am hitting the save note button.

Hitting that button is virtually a guarantee of saving fact notes (unless you are using a removable storage device and disconnecting it from your machine after opening a database).
What do you mean when you say "i highlight the database as I am going so I know what I have and have not entered"?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

Hitting that button is virtually a guarantee of saving fact notes (unless you are using a removable storage device and disconnecting it from your machine after opening a database).
What do you mean when you say "i highlight the database as I am going so I know what I have and have not entered"?

Sorry i didn't explain myself. I am referring to a manual database which I have initially created in Microsoft Publisher. When I am entering data from this printed database into RM7 I am highlighting what has been saved. I have called up a number of people in the RM7 database and I know I had inputted data into notes. I then check to see if I had highlighted that data on the printed database so I know I had inputted it in.

#6 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

The other anomaly I am experiencing is when I enter a family member they don't appear in the pane on the left unless I exit the program make a backup and then launch the program again. Then they appear in the pane colum on the left? 

Something weird is going on, I suspect you guys will come back and report you are not experiencing this issue?

Edit; and it doesn't do it all the time!

#7 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

The other anomaly I am experiencing is when I enter a family member they don't appear in the pane on the left unless I exit the program make a backup and then launch the program again. Then they appear in the pane colum on the left? 

Something weird is going on, I suspect you guys will come back and report you are not experiencing this issue?

Edit; and it doesn't do it all the time!

Think I have sorted this one out. Found the notes in various other locations for that individual eg in birth notes, death notes. Trap for young players at age 61! :)