10 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Porting over a lot of data from the database I have created in Publisher over to RM7. 

If I type a note in the font appears to be Segeo UI 14pt and doesn't appear to allow you change font and size? 

I have a lot of supporting data in my database which I am cutting and pasting into RM7 notes however I am using a different font and size, so there are situations where I have typed in from scratch notes and cut and pasted so two different font styles and sizes exists. 

I am not sure how RM7 processes these notes when it comes to printing or sending via a GEDCOM file and if I should be concerned that two formats exists?

It will be a real PITA if I have import the notes into another program like word to change the font and size. I have a lot of supporting data which I would not like to have to type out again just because I can not change font and size.

Anyone able to throw any light on this? 

Are notes in RM7 dependent specifically on the Segeo UI font at 14pt which it seems to default to?

There appears no way to change the font and size in notes in RM7, am i missing something?

Cheers,

Ian

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Tools > Program Options > Display provides three font settings.

When you copy & paste text into the RM note editor, it initially will display as it did when copied. Close the Note Editor, and the font for the text is changed to the setting under Program Options.

You can apply Bold and Italics and Underline properties, but you cannot use two different fonts within the Note Editor.

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:48 PM

Tools > Program Options > Display provides three font settings.

When you copy & paste text into the RM note editor, it initially will display as it did when copied. Close the Note Editor, and the font for the text is changed to the setting under Program Options.

You can apply Bold and Italics and Underline properties, but you cannot use two different fonts within the Note Editor.

You sir are a legend! Brilliant thanks for that. Exactly what i was hoping for!

Appreciate you and other helping flattening out the steep learning curve.

Regards,

Ian

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

N.b.: those are Display font settings and have no effect on reports or GEDCOM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

N.b.: those are Display font settings and have no effect on reports or GEDCOM.

Cheers Tom,

What sets the fonts and font sizes in reports and GEDCOM?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Nothing that you can control from within RM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

Nothing that you can control from within RM.

Actually, the Reports > Publisher books have some basic layout and font settings. It takes some exploring to find and set all of them.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

Darn, my memory is fading. Of course, in report settings, not for GEDCOM. From Help:

Font selection (for report)

The Report fonts dialog lets you choose the fonts for a particular report. It displays a list of the font names as they are currently set, and allows you to change them or reset them back to their defaults.

To change a font:

1. Highlight the font name you want to change at the left.

2. Select the font and settings you want at the right, then click OK.

3. Repeat for any other fonts you want to change.

4. Click OK to close the Report fonts dialog.

Many reports, lists and charts use common font type names, such as Narrative Text and Narrative Headings. Updating the settings associated with the these common names will update the settings for books and stand-alone reports, lists and charts that use the same font type name.

#9 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

GEDCOM is a data transfer protocol, fonts are not data. To transfer font, and other markup in GEDCOM you would need to define a markup language that is universally understood by all transmitting and receiving programs. Since none is define at this time, markup such as, tab, bold, italics, and font will not and should not be transferred, or expected to be transferred in GEDCOM. For that mater I would not expect markup (bold, italics, tab) to even be reliably transferred from a data entry field to a report. Even the font of the data entered should not be expected to be the same in the data entry field vs the report where the data is used. This later point is a basic rule of the separation of data and presentation most designers follow.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

... markup such as, tab, bold, italics, and font will not and should not be transferred, or expected to be transferred in GEDCOM. For that mater I would not expect markup (bold, italics, tab) to even be reliably transferred from a data entry field to a report. 

In violation of those principles and in response to customer needs, RM supports HTML tags for bold, underline and italics in a number of areas, including GEDCOM, mainly in sentence templates and in Notes.

#11 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Thanks folks for the input into outputting report fonts and sizes and their relationship within a GEDCOM file.

I will hop fully start playing around with reports and PDF outputs sometime this week as I complete inputting the family database from my cumbersome Microsoft Publisher database to RM7. Managing all those ancestors around for 6 months solid in Publisher has been a journey in itself. Put in, edit, shift one word and reformat the text.

Spent a week solid so far transferring the data which has also included the RM7 learning curve. Still have probably another 150-200 ancestors to put in and then more to learn then on the reporting and output to print outcomes. Already been in touch with a British company that offers a GEDCOM to PDF service. You have probably seen me asking some questions on the forum about PDF, reports, charts, GEDCOM so I thank you all for furthering my knowledge.

Also been in touch with my local printing shops to find out what they require from me to print a large graphical plot.

So no doubt I will have some more questions coming up from you experienced folks on how best to get the best reports outcome. So I hope you don't mind some more questions coming the forums way.

Thanks for your assistance it has been much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian