Photo

"Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

After spending the past 30 minutes clicking through a list of hundreds (I estimated 80, boy was I wrong!) of "changed" people I'll take back my "manageable, but puzzling" comment.   We really need some type of global list selection (via the CTRL/Shift key & RMB) in the Treeshare window to allow a user the option of quickly clearing their "changed" list.

Confirming that is on the development list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#22 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Renee, I appreciate your presence here and feedback. I believe users are aware the "changed" and "unchanged" issues are happening.
What we need to know is...

Do you expect the changed status being correct when Ancestry works through the connection issues?

Is RM actively working on a solution to atleast change the status on everyone in the DB to restore some level of functionality? If so when will this come? This will help now and give some peace of mind in the future.

Having experienced this issue myself I now have a couple more thoughts...

Using a "changed" status as a flag on either end is a lightweight approach to trigger the user there are differences from the other DB that need to be synced. But this is an indirect approach. Perhaps a feature to scan for differences is more direct and helpful in this situation. No matter what happens for example... I would be able to reset the flag on all people to unchanged then do a scan for differences and that could reset the people who have discrepancies between the ancestry and RM. I'm sure this would take a lot more time so not feasible under normal circumstances but would help restore the system in these failures.

The other observation is that it seems as though the link between RM and hints between other services such as familysearc, Findmypast, and MyHeritage are not lost. But the linking of people and the linking of people and hints between RM and ancestry is completely lost under circumstances. If Ancestry used a unique identifier for people one uploads or for sources then the link can be maintained when uploading a new tree or reconnecting. Is this on the roadmap?

I'm not sure if development can answer that yet. I can however pass your feedback and suggestion to them. 

Right now being able to clear the entire change list is one swoop would be high on my list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#23 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Confirming that is on the development list.

Thank you!!

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...