Photo

"Collecting Changes from Ancestry" marks everything changed, etc.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

I was syncing about a dozen new individuals in RootsMagic to Ancestry. About half way though this. I "Accepts Changes" for one of the individuals - Then "Collecting Changes from Ancestry" take about 10 to 15 minutes and EVERYONE IN MY DATABASE  is then seen when ONLY SHOW CHANGED PEOPLE is checked!

HINTS are FLAKEY!

Sources from RootsMagic end up doubled of ANCESTRY. That is, on the RootsMagic side, I am at times that I have NEW SOURCES to add to Ancestry, but when I check those already at Ancestry they are exactly the same as those I am told to add!

I have an individual in my RootMagic tree, just the surname "Beall" - in the list of individuals in TreeShare for Ancesty, I seach - I type Beall - as I type it highlights each letter - THEN I type a comma - it drops the hightlight and will search no further!

AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

I have an individual in my RootMagic tree, just the surname "Beall" - in the list of individuals in TreeShare for Ancesty, I seach - I type Beall - as I type it highlights each letter - THEN I type a comma - it drops the hightlight and will search no further!

I have seen this happen. I can't quite describe all the circumstances. But on the TreeShare screen when you type into the list of names for navigational purposes, the behavior is not at all consistent with the behavior when typing into other lists in RM. "It drops the highlight" is a very apt description of what happens, and I then have to scroll to where I am really going in the list.

Jerry

#3 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

Just had this happen to me.  Now I've got to parse through 18,400 names - not a happy camper! :(  Please add some type of global selection to this list.

Edit: Restored the DB from a backup - only 3 people to add back.  FWIW: I used the "collecting changes" feature multiple times yesterday - moving data to and from Ancestry and I did not experience this problem.  However, this morning after adding a 3rd person to RM everyone in my RM DB was tagged as changed.  Ugh!

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#4 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

I have seen this happen. I can't quite describe all the circumstances. But on the TreeShare screen when you type into the list of names for navigational purposes, the behavior is not at all consistent with the behavior when typing into other lists in RM. "It drops the highlight" is a very apt description of what happens, and I then have to scroll to where I am really going in the list.

Jerry

EXACTLY!

#5 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Just had this happen to me.  Now I've got to parse through 18,400 names - not a happy camper! :(  Please add some type of global selection to this list.

Edit: Restored the DB from a backup - only 3 people to add back.  FWIW: I used the "collecting changes" feature multiple times yesterday - moving data to and from Ancestry and I did not experience this problem.  However, this morning after adding a 3rd person to RM everyone in my RM DB was tagged as changed.  Ugh!

Even more fun when you have a database 2 1/2 times larger!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

There is an issue on some databases where the incremental search will stop when you hit to comma in the name. It doesn't happen on every database. Development at this time could not find a resolution. The option was to remove incremental search completely or have some database only be effected. We decided it was best to leave it in for now, since you can at least search up to the surname in the list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

I see, But can't a bulk selection function (combination of shift/CTRL key with the mouse) be added so those who are affected can more readily reset the "changed" flag?  Presently one may only select one at a time, which would not normally be an issue.

To be clear, where in a person's name does the comma have to be to trigger this?

#8 BarryBoyer

BarryBoyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

I too have some form of this problem of waiting long periods of time for RootsMagic 7.5 to collect changes from Ancestry. each time an individual is matched with Ancestry.

Yes, quite often RootsMagic 7.5 wants to double up the sources.

I have a database of around  90,000 names. I believe I am being asked to make changes for a whole host of folks for the second or third time.

Question: Is all lost? i.e., is my database ruined?

#9 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

I believe I was fortunate to have made a backup copy just before this happened (the first time).  So I simply restored my DB and had to re-add 3 people.  Now I find myself making a backup after each successful "collecting changes" operation just in case the problem resurfaces - it's happened twice today. 

Quite frankly having to do that wastes time and cycles my hard drive more that I'd like.  However, until this issue is resolved, or RM provides some form of global list selection, I see no other option...

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Ancestry had network issues they were working on over the weekend.  

We got an email from Ancestry, and this is what we've put up on Facebook...
Just a heads-up for those of you using TreeShare this weekend, we've received word from our friends at Ancestry that they are experiencing some network issues. Basically, at intermittent times, Ancestry's servers may close some of the connections made to it by other systems (including your computer).
Network issues are not something you want to haphazardly try and fix. Ancestry has told us that they are working to solve these issues as quickly and as safely as they can.
In the meantime, there's a good chance that you won't even notice any problems. When RootsMagic encounters this problem, it will attempt several times to retry whatever it was doing. If it isn't successful, you'll see a "Connection Error" screen asking if you want to retry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 beesmyer

beesmyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

I can appreciate the note that Ancestry is working on the network issues but unless I missed something it's not an answer or fix for the problem I/we are experiencing.

I've got over 20,000 names in my database. Everyone of them now shows as "changed" in tree share. The only way for me to keep using it at this point is to use hints, make changes, then remember which ones have changed and sort through them then update.

I have read that RM has left off a batch "accept" changes figuring it is best practice to review each individually .Thus preventing people with lesser experience and no sense of accountability from accidentally causing damage and blaming RM. But I'm not a fan of witholding functionality to protect people from themselves.

Please...

Need an option to select all and change status between "changed" and "unchanged"

Then possibly batch processing for batch accepting changes... atleast maybe by field.

#12 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

I got a taste of the frustration you must feel over this matter, but I was fortunate in that I could restore my DB leaving only 3 people to add.  With everyone in a changed status it negates the utility of that feature.

And I still would like an answer to my earlier question, "where in a person's name does the comma have to be to trigger this?"  I believe knowing specifically what causes this issue is important - a couple of examples would be helpful...

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

And I still would like an answer to my earlier question, "where in a person's name does the comma have to be to trigger this?"  I believe knowing specifically what causes this issue is important - a couple of examples would be helpful...

When your typing in the TreeShare index you start with surname, then comma, then given name. Its the comma after the surname that some database will not go any further in the incremental search. As soon as you add the comma it will start over in the index with the next letter you type. Not all databases are behaving this way.

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

The change list will be triggered by changes made on the RM side or the Ancestry side. I have seen with the network issues Ancestry has been experiencing that some people will all of a sudden have every person in their database on the changed list. I watched this during beta testing I would see a rash of reports and then get notice that Ancestry's was having issues. Hopefully the dust is settling over there. They are making great changes to resolve things. 

This is all very similar to what has happened at times with the FamilySearch's feature "What's New". 

On the RM side we do know of things that will cause large numbers of people to be on the change list. If you edit the Master Source or the Place List (for now) everyone associated with them will be on the change list. I can't think of anything else right now that could put a large number of people on the changed list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

When your typing in the TreeShare index you start with surname, then comma, then given name. Its the comma after the surname that some database will not go any further in the incremental search. As soon as you add the comma it will start over in the index with the next letter you type. Not all databases are behaving this way.

Thank you for this.  Although every person in my entire DB was flagged once as "changed", I do not recall ever typing in any names or a comma.  After the first instance, it has not happened again.  However, recently I am noticing some people flagged as "changed" that I do not recall changing any related information, and  when I compare the RM vs. Ancestry sides the only item that is different is some RM facts have a source icon shown where the Ancestry facts do not - but I the fact source are not new...

After adding 10 people to my RM DB yesterday, I clicked on the Treeshare icon and was shown a list of perhaps 80 people flagged as "changed" - manageable, but puzzling...

#16 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

On the RM side we do know of things that will cause large numbers of people to be on the change list. If you edit the Master Source or the Place List (for now) everyone associated with them will be on the change list. I can't think of anything else right now that could put a large number of people on the changed list. 

This may be why I'm seeing considerably more people flagged as "change" than I expect.  I did make changes to a few sources, and merged a few places...

#17 beesmyer

beesmyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Renee, I appreciate your presence here and feedback. I believe users are aware the "changed" and "unchanged" issues are happening.
What we need to know is...

Do you expect the changed status being correct when Ancestry works through the connection issues?

Is RM actively working on a solution to atleast change the status on everyone in the DB to restore some level of functionality? If so when will this come? This will help now and give some peace of mind in the future.

Having experienced this issue myself I now have a couple more thoughts...

Using a "changed" status as a flag on either end is a lightweight approach to trigger the user there are differences from the other DB that need to be synced. But this is an indirect approach. Perhaps a feature to scan for differences is more direct and helpful in this situation. No matter what happens for example... I would be able to reset the flag on all people to unchanged then do a scan for differences and that could reset the people who have discrepancies between the ancestry and RM. I'm sure this would take a lot more time so not feasible under normal circumstances but would help restore the system in these failures.

The other observation is that it seems as though the link between RM and hints between other services such as familysearc, Findmypast, and MyHeritage are not lost. But the linking of people and the linking of people and hints between RM and ancestry is completely lost under circumstances. If Ancestry used a unique identifier for people one uploads or for sources then the link can be maintained when uploading a new tree or reconnecting. Is this on the roadmap?

#18 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

After spending the past 30 minutes clicking through a list of hundreds (I estimated 80, boy was I wrong!) of "changed" people I'll take back my "manageable, but puzzling" comment.   We really need some type of global list selection (via the CTRL/Shift key & RMB) in the Treeshare window to allow a user the option of quickly clearing their "changed" list.

#19 beesmyer

beesmyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Thank you for this.  Although every person in my entire DB was flagged once as "changed", I do not recall ever typing in any names or a comma.  After the first instance, it has not happened again.  However, recently I am noticing some people flagged as "changed" that I do not recall changing any related information, and  when I compare the RM vs. Ancestry sides the only item that is different is some RM facts have a source icon shown where the Ancestry facts do not - but I the fact source are not new...

After adding 10 people to my RM DB yesterday, I clicked on the Treeshare icon and was shown a list of perhaps 80 people flagged as "changed" - manageable, but puzzling...

Mike Z...
I believe what you are talking about is typing commas in the names in records causing changes. This is different than editing lists or making edits that cause real changes. What you are quoting here that others are talking about is merely scrolling through the index of names given to filter or quickly jump through a massive list of names rather than trying to use the scroll bar. If one has several thousand names in the index on the left hand side of the window then it is nearly impossible to find the name one is looking for by using the scroll bar... it's up, then down, then upagain to get close, then single clicking through each names to get to the name one wants to get to. Instead the better way is to just select anyone in the index and start typing the surname. This will automatically scroll through the names and get you to the surname in the alphabetical index. If one has hindreds of people with the surname of "smith" then it's nice to be able to hit the comma, and start typing the given name, ideally this would take you directly to the desired person. Say I want to get to "Smith, William" in the list... typing smith gets me to the surname group. Typing "Smith, william" would take me directly to him. As it is... as soon as you type in the comma the filter stops and it takes you back to the top of the list. This means you can only get to the surname then have to scroll through till you get to william.

#20 beesmyer

beesmyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

After spending the past 30 minutes clicking through a list of hundreds (I estimated 80, boy was I wrong!) of "changed" people I'll take back my "manageable, but puzzling" comment.   We really need some type of global list selection (via the CTRL/Shift key & RMB) in the Treeshare window to allow a user the option of quickly clearing their "changed" list.

It can be deceiving how many people are actually on that list.