• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Knippelberg

Knippelberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:21 AM

It would be great to see a version for handheld PCs that could synchronize with the main PC database.

#2 BobB

BobB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

Since I've stopped lugging around a laptop and now carry a PDA, this sounds pretty good.

#3 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Knippelberg @ Apr 27 2005, 06:21 AM)
It would be great to see a version for handheld PCs that could synchronize with the main PC database.

Wouldn't that be great?! Yes, I'd like to see that too. I do have PocketGenealogist, which is a wonderful program. It reads RootsMagic files, but it doesn't sync two-way with RootsMagic as yet.

#4 Guest_Gail Ann Hodges Levis_*

Guest_Gail Ann Hodges Levis_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:00 AM

I believe, too, the addition of a pda version would be an enhancement. I've been a user since Family Origins (Cedar Rapids days) and strayed slighted with Family Tree Maker but came back.

#5 toallen

toallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:10 PM

You might want to take a look at My Roots by Tapperware. A free trial can be downloaded at http://www.tapperwar...oots/index.html
My Roots can be populated from a RootMagic gedcom. Frequently Asked questions on the website reports the following:

"Once my data is in My Roots, what can I do with it?
You can view and modify data right in My Roots. Once you've finished making changes, for example, after a trip to the research library, you can export your data to a GED file. My Roots provides many ways to view your data, including ancestor trees, descendant trees, filtering, and a graphical relationship calculator."

I tried it and it works.

#6 Nancy G.

Nancy G.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:33 PM

A PDA RootsMagic would be a dream come true. I am PDA challenged with the genie program my husband downloaded and it is way too limiting (I'm spoiled with RM). It isn't convienient to take my laptop everywhere, like a large cemetery on a hot day or a tiny cafe with incredibly small tables, so having the "Best Programmer In The World" create a PDA version of his genealogy program would increase his profits greatly and make his fan club very happy! biggrin.gif

#7 TaffyBlue

TaffyBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

I use Roots Magic on my PC, and also have My Roots on my Palm PDA. The programs exchange information via GEDCOM files, so I always have my up-to-date tree with me where ever I go, without the hassle of lugging a laptop.