3 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

I am working aggressively to merge all my data from MyHeritage and Ancestry into one RM7.5 managed database. I linked RM to my tree on Ancestry and created a fresh database with that data. I then did a full GEDCOM export from MyHeritage and imported it. Obviously that created a few thousand duplicates. I used the search duplicates function first with a more exact match and walked through each of those one at a time. There were only a few hundred. I then did the "sound similar" and got a few hundred more.

There are still hundreds of duplicates out there that the only way I seem to be able to find them is walking through the list in alpha order. That's a pretty slow way to work through over 8000 names. I can't understand why George Beharr Crewson and George Beharr Crewson Sr with the same dates of birth and death don't show up as a dup. Likewise when George's wife Elsie is listed on one as Elsie Crewson (married name) and Elsie <blank> (no maiden name) don't show up.

It seems like the dup checking misses hundreds of obvious duplicates. It's not like I'm expecting RM to automatically merge them, but I am expecting RM to find them.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

On the Duplicate Merge Search settings you can adjust the settings to search a broader range of potential matches. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hope you made a backup before you started. I would have created 2 different RM databases, color code 1 of them and then run the File>Compare Files. 

#4 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

I have tried various adjustments without much success. I still have to walk through the people list and merge by eyeball. I can't figure out why the bulk of these aren't being found.

As far as backup, yes I have one but I really don't need to fall back. It's not like I don't want the merges I've already done to happen. I expected a lot of duplicates since I didn't want RM to auto merge. I don't have a problem eyeballing each merge, I do have a problem with having to find them by hand.