4 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

I suspect this is simple but is not jumping out at me.

Have a situation where I need to add a partner as a relationship to a couple. They also happen to have a child,  just wondering the best way to enter this into RM?

Thanks,

Ian

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

There is not a "partner" relationship built into RM. One approach is simply to enter the individuals as spouses and to omit the marriage fact. There are frequent requests for RM to change the designation of "spouse" on its screens because that word doesn't seem to fit for partnerships that do not include a marriage. But the word "spouse" on the RM screens doesn't appear on any report so don't let it bother you.

Another approach is to define a custom family fact type called something like "partner" or whatever you might like to call it. You would also have to decide what the sentence for your partner fact should look like in RM's reports. Having taken this approach, you individuals will still be labelled as spouses on some of RM's screens. Again, just don't let it bother you because that designation does not appear in any of RM's reports.

Jerry

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

Cheers Jerry...thanks for your feedback. Hear what your saying but RM need to get with the times.

RootsMagic.....It beggars belief that in in 2017, 2010, 2000 and before that a defacto relationship is not recognised! Really RootsMagic get with the times. The real word is that children come and often do before marriage and some couple never marry but value and stay in that relationship many times longer than marriage.

Defacto relationships have been recognise at law for 20, 30 years or more depending what part of the world you come from. RM should be in lock step with the times!

Ian

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

I think it's unlikely that RM would include anything like a "partner" fact or a "de facto" fact as a standard built-in fact until and unless GEDCOM does so.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

It already has provision for defining a couple relationship as Married | Common-Law | Partners... But doesn't do anything useful with that setting.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.