7 replies to this topic

#1 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Ancestry found the marriage hint for a couple and successfully added it to both persons. Ran TreeShare to add it to RM database and it it shows up in the Edit Person screen for each person but in the Family View it doesn't show. Ran all the Database tools but doesn't fix. Created another marriage event to fix. A bug in TreeShare ?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Renee can probably answer better than me and this is just a guess, but I wonder if it has something to do with marriage being an individual fact type on ancestry and a family fact type on RM. So I wonder if you are getting some kind of "individual marriage" fact type being reported back into RM instead of the standard family marriage fact type. If so, it wouldn't show up at the top of the Family View screen (or really, it wouldn't show up at the top of the screen for any view).

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

We try and trick it in TreeShare to look like a Family Fact, by adding an individual fact to both spouses. But, the WebHints can only be added to the spouse you are working on. It says its using the marriage fact, but it's really only connected to the one spouse. That is why its not showing in the Family View. This is because Ancestry doesn't have family facts, they are all individual facts made to look like family facts. You can edit them separately online if you want to experiment with how Ancestry has them setup.

I can report to development that the marriage fact for the father is not displaying in the info area. That is something we could do when added through TreeShare. Maybe they didn't do that simply so you know you don't have a fact associated with the spouse.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Coming back into RM, could you instead convert ancestry's individual marriage facts to RM's family marriage fact? I suspect Bruce already looked at doing it that way and decided there would be problems, but I have to ask.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5593 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

Somebody already does convert the individual marriage events to couple events, if it is really true that a marriage event is only an indivdiual event. That happened with imports of Ancestry GEDCOMs, direct import of TreeSync'd databases from FTM 2012-2014, and does now with TreeShare downloads. What I have run into in Ancestry is where some record created an individual Marriage event, not a couple event, that you would not see on the other spouse's profile. Those became custom individual events when imported by any of these means to RM. So I think Ancestry supports the standard Marriage event (a couple) and a non-standard individual Marriage event. It is the latter causing difficulty.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:48 PM

Armed with Renee's response, to get this to function correctly in RM, I created a marriage event from the husband and selected the spouse ( since she was added by the hint in Ancestry). Then did TreeShare and selected "Update existing event on Ancestry" and updated the marriage event that had the Source attached on Ancestry. Hope this will be shown in a webinar.

#7 Your_Excellency

Your_Excellency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Somebody already does convert the individual marriage events to couple events, if it is really true that a marriage event is only an indivdiual event. That happened with imports of Ancestry GEDCOMs, direct import of TreeSync'd databases from FTM 2012-2014, and does now with TreeShare downloads. What I have run into in Ancestry is where some record created an individual Marriage event, not a couple event, that you would not see on the other spouse's profile. Those became custom individual events when imported by any of these means to RM. So I think Ancestry supports the standard Marriage event (a couple) and a non-standard individual Marriage event. It is the latter causing difficulty.

I have 34 records like this in my RM file and I've been tracing the problem in the database.  The problem manifests itself in the program with a sentence that begins with "[couple] married on..." instead of the spouse's names.

All affected marriages were from records added in Ancestry and pulled into RM.  I've narrowed down the problem in the data: there are marriage events for each of the spouses, but the OwnerType is 0, not 1, and the FamilyID is 0 instead of the FamilyID for the couple.  I'm working on a SQL fix and will update you when I've got it running.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5593 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

I hope you will publish your script and description on the wiki linked below.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.