• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 khaden

khaden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

Have been a beta tester so this has been a problem since I first started using the beta version of TreeShare.  I have several Ancestry trees.  The trees have assorted individuals who have multiple WebHints and multiple sources attached/rejected to them, including sources uploaded from my original to Ancestry, but those WebHints never download.  They have the lightbulb and the indications of the existence of WebHints but when clicking on the lightbulb, the little download circle just keeps on circling forever and ever.  In the same file there are also individuals who have just as many hints & sources attached, rejected, etc. but download those WebHints via the lightbulb and can be reviewed with no problem.  

These files have been on Ancestry since trees were first synced with FamilyTreeMaker and I'm sure there is something weird in them quite possibly from an earlier mutation of Ancestry trees themselves.  This was reported as an issue and techs were given access as Editors to these files. When each new Beta version came out, I would completely delete the previously download and connection to Ancestry, then re-sync as a new connection, hoping this would be "fixed".  It never was.  These trees continue to have multiple individuals in them for whom the WebHints will not download in spite of the lightbulb showing they exist and how many, etc.   I have gone on Ancestry and added/changed these persons and they will show up as "Changed" and I can make the changes to RootsMagic and these changes show up as changes when synced & in both the trees both in RootsMagic and on Ancestry - but still the WebHints will not download.

I will add that as part of the earlier testing, I created a new upload tree and file with some of the same individuals and the problem did not exist; TreeShare functioned as expected.  I could create new files and trees but then all the old hints long since accepted/rejected would all appear again - literally 100's of them - and would have to be reviewed individually - and this is just not an option.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

I suspect that the issue with some WebHints not opening is due to a particular type of Hint on Ancestry. In testing we could only work with a shared tree with Editor access. For some reason Ancestry doesn't let us view the Hints online with that access. So we need the users to see if there is a pattern in a type of hint that doesn't load in the API. Try working the Hints on the Ancestry side to see if you reach a point in RM where the WebHints will now load. There is a delay in Ancestry reporting back accepted/rejected WebHints so it will take time to troubleshoot this. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

A) "...They have the lightbulb and the indications of the existence of WebHints but when clicking on the lightbulb, the little download circle just keeps on circling forever and ever.  In the same file there are also individuals who have just as many hints & sources attached, rejected, etc. but download those WebHints via the lightbulb and can be reviewed with no problem. .."

"...These trees continue to have multiple individuals in them for whom the WebHints will not download in spite of the lightbulb showing they exist and how many, etc.   I have gone on Ancestry and added/changed these persons and they will show up as "Changed" and I can make the changes to RootsMagic and these changes show up as changes when synced & in both the trees both in RootsMagic and on Ancestry - but still the WebHints will not download.

B) "I could create new files and trees but then all the old hints long since accepted/rejected would all appear again - literally 100's of them - and would have to be reviewed individually - and this is just not an option.

A) I also have the WebHint not responding situation. I will look at Ancestry online to see if there is a odd Fact, source or Media.

B) I am also experiencing this, along with other reporting similar on FB Group. To some degree this behavior is understandable in a new RM file. It would be similar to FSFT 'Matching" needing to be 'set' for all of those Person Records and their Facts in a new RM file. Yet there appears to not be such a mechanism to do so 'en masse'.

#4 wawee

wawee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

I have this same problem. Ancestry webhints appear for most people in my file but for a select few, I get the "endless circle" and the hints never appear. I have not figured out a consistent difference between the majority that get webhints and the minority that simply to do not work.

Has anyone figured this one out yet?

Thanks!

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:50 PM

Ancestry has told us the WebHints that never load are due to phantom records. They are hints that no longer exist. The collection or tree they were for has been removed. The only way to remove them is to delete the person on Ancestry and add them again. That way it will generate new hints without the phantom records.  You can add them back to Ancestry using TreeShare. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

I read through this thread and saw comments from a year ago, but I have a new problem with saving data from Ancestry in Web Hints. Until the last few days I have not had this issue. Now, I can not save to my computer or to my Ancestry tree, when working with Web Hints in RM. If I enter Ancestry independent of RM and research the same item, I can then save to both my computer and to my Ancestry tree. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

I haven't seen any reports on this. Are the WebHints not loading or is the issue with transferring data from the WebHint to RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

Renee,

WebHints are loading OK to RM.  Where I have the problem is when I want to copy say source details from Ancestry and then paste into RM. I can open the hint in A.com but when I try to copy details for saving nothing happens. 

If I leave RM and independently log on to A.com I can save the item to both my A.com tree and to my PC hard drive. This seems to be intermittent. For the past few days it has worked OK. Previous to that it was not working for about a week. I've rebooted my PC and re-established my WebSearch links in RM to A.com. I'll continue to monitor and report back if this continues to be a problem.

Thanks

Rick

RickL