Photo

TreeShare for Ancestry Spontaneous unlink.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

I upload my RootsMagic tree to a new Ancestry.com tree. TreeShare seems to work beautifully.

EXCEPT on the third day, the RootsMagic tree and the Ancestry tree UNLINK!

NO, I did not intentionally or inadvertently do this. They just unlinked spontaneously. As I recall, it occurred after I selected the <TreeShare for Ancestry> button that was placed on the tool bar then selected <login>. I had done this many times over the last two days with no problem.

#2 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Above, I did on my Windows 10 Desktop.

I also downloaded the new Ancestry tree on to my Windows 10 laptop into a new RootsMagic tree on the laptop.

I just checked and the Ancestry tree and the laptop RootsMagic tree are STILL LINKED!

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Maybe Ancestry wants you to be logged in from one device only? That seems at variance with what I've read from RootsMagic people and heard from other users.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 mpbeall

mpbeall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Maybe Ancestry wants you to be logged in from one device only? That seems at variance with what I've read from RootsMagic people and heard from other users.

I was never connect to Ancestry.com through RootsMagic (or though anything else) by more than one device at a time when this occured. RootsMagic does explicitly mention using multiple devises, and I don't recall hearing that you shouldn't  be logged onto more than one at a time. Nothing ever works perfectly the first time out.  So I have made known my experience! It is a functionality greatly to be desired!

#5 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:56 AM

I think that the same thing has happened to me. I downloaded my main tree from Ancestry, made some changes and used the linking function to keep the two versions of the tree in line.

Now when I opened Rootsmagic today and logged back on to Ancestry through the 'Tree share' option, I am asked to start again by uploading or downloading a tree. There does not seem to be any option to have Rootsmagic/Ancestry recognise that the two trees should be linked.

I have been doing this on Windows 7, always on the same PC.

Alan

#6 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:39 AM

Apologies, my mistake.

When I closed and re-opened Rootsmagic it took me back to the previous version of my tree. The downloaded version is still linked.

Sorry.

Alan

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

Restarting the computer and sometimes simply restarting RootsMagic will resolve this.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

The unlink just happened to me. Restarting doesn't fix it.

In an odd sort of way, I may have "caused" the problem. I'm working with a very small test RM database. From the RM side of the house, I deleted all the people in the database and then added a new person. Upon going to the ancestry database, the tree was unlinked. It's still there on the ancestry side of the house. Just to move on, I'm going to delete the tree from the ancestry side of the house and then use RM to upload my one person data base to a new database at ancestry.

The reason that I wonder if I might have "caused" the problem is that the empty database may not be a situation that has been programmed for with an RM database that is linked to ancestry. Indeed, I had a hard time deleting the last person out of my little test database. It was like it was ignoring my instructions to delete the person. But I kept just sort of playing with it, trying several things over and over again to try to delete the person (one of the definitions of insanity!). I'm not sure what I finally did, but something I did finally deleted the last person. It was subsequent to finally deleting the last person that I discovered that the database was unlinked from ancestry.

Jerry

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

If I understand what you were doing, you deleted everyone in the database. I can see that removing the connection to the tree. If you had left one person in the database it should have remained. The link is actually to the person and the tree they are connected to. A database can only be connected to one tree. So if you have a new blank database and move just one person from a tree that is connected then that tree will automatically be connected to the Ancestry Tree. 

You can get an existing RM database connected to an existing Ancestry Tree using this process. Just drag in drop one connected person into your existing database You would need to manually connect everyone else in the tree.  The problem is it has to be a small enough database. My 1100 tree will work, by 15000 tree won't work. It gets stuck on the comparing duplicates part. I have not played with it enough to see when the tree size is to much. Have fun playing, because I know you will.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

I wonder if those who have experienced this Imported more family, and/or then somehow Merged a Person Record (or whole family unit) from another database whereas the Person Record (or family unit) was not part of the TreeShared originals, thus effectively creating a similar phenomenon as Jerry expresses.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

The link is actually to the person and the tree they are connected to. A database can only be connected to one tree. So if you have a new blank database and move just one person from a tree that is connected then that tree will automatically be connected to the Ancestry Tree. 

You can get an existing RM database connected to an existing Ancestry Tree using this process. Just drag in drop one connected person into your existing database You would need to manually connect everyone else in the tree.

This is really interesting information. It provides a lot of opportunities that had never occurred to me for managing links between RM databases and ancestry trees. Also, I agree that it might explain other examples of spontaneous unlinking - maybe linked people were merged out of existence causing the unlinking. Etc.

Jerry