• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

Just upgraded to RM 7.5 to create a private tree as a backup on Ancestry.  Afterwards I watched the 36 minute video on 7.5 to see if I should have checked "Add the people in this tree to Ancestry's index" and the vid didn't say anything of significance about this option.  I want to keep the tree private, but I would also like people (especially DNA cousins) to be able to find me, and feel this "Add" option might be beneficial.

So questions:  What exactly happens if I check this box? Can I even check it if I keep tree private? I have uploaded my RM tree - would I have to do it again to include these people in the index?  I have done several searches using the words in this option and nothing relevant shows up.

Thanks! 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Best to check an Ancestry forum or FAQ or Help as this is entirely on their side. My best guess is that if you keep the tree private but allow Ancestry to index it, others will be able to find that there are possible matching people in your database but that you have to be contacted to share data.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thanks - I suspect my copious googling would have turned up any Ancestry links, so maybe I will just upload again and see if I can click only the option to index.  My working with this this afternoon has raised another question tho: I did not name my Ancestry database the same a my RM database.  After a couple of hours that have included lots of clicking around the Ancestry clone, I still don't have any "Web hints". Come to think of it, I haven't had any web hints for ages in spite of all the options being set correctly. Wonder if I am running a browser extension (or something) that is interfering with them>

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

I have wondered about this option, also, and exactly what it means. I have played around a bit with trees on ancestry using the GEDCOM interface. In my experience, private trees are nevertheless searchable in a limited sense. By which I mean, if an ancestry user gets a match against a private tree, the user is notified of the match without really being given any data, and the user is provided with contact information for the owner of the tree. The contact information is generally speaking through ancestry's internal messaging system, not an email address. The expectation is that you might then contact the owner of the tree for further information or collaboration.

Well, I'm not 100% sure that I have the above exactly right, which is part of my question, and the other and more important part of my question is as follows. Does the "Add the people in this tree to Ancestry's index" option simply mark your tree as private or public in the same sense as does the GEDCOM interface for uploading trees, or is there some other implication for the option? It would be helpful to understand exactly what this option does.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

Thanks - My working with this this afternoon has raised another question tho: I did not name my Ancestry database the same a my RM database.  After a couple of hours that have included lots of clicking around the Ancestry clone, I still don't have any "Web hints". Come to think of it, I haven't had any web hints for ages in spite of all the options being set correctly. Wonder if I am running a browser extension (or something) that is interfering with them

The WebHints are generated on the Ancestry Tree first, then they will appear inside RootsMagic. Ancestry servers were overwhelmed during the beta testing period with all the trees being uploaded and then deleted. So they stopped automatically generating hints until people started moving around inside the trees to trigger them. So go on Ancestry and move around. The pedigree view will give a wide range of people to start generating hints for. You will start to see the hints appear as it starts working.  After that it might take a few minutes to see them pop-up in RootsMagic. Once the dust settles Ancestry will probably start generating hints like they once were.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

c24m58 - In trying to find out why I still have no hints on RM (but literally thousands on Ancestry), I deleted my Anc tree, renamed my RM tree, and used TreeShare again to reload to Anc. This time I clicked the add to index box (I also found in reading the 14 page PDF on TreeShare, that clicking the 'Add to Index' does allow what you outlined in your post; tree is still private.

Renee - When I first upgraded to the first RM version that had Web Hints (Family Search), I rec'd many hints. Is it possible that I set a switch to ignore them? I haven't had any hints for a long time, nor have I felt the need to do interim upgrades of RM (enhancements were not relevant to me) until RM 7.5. Frankly, Web Hints are not that important to me in about 99% of cases (I am a pretty thorough and dogged researcher), and if light bulbs started popping up all over my database I would probably quickly ask how to turn them off - except for maybe Findmypast.

My apologies! Do I feel stupid. Last night I went thru every permutation imaginable from making sure all my web hints boxes and field were selected in File Options, keeping Ancestry open, disabling my firewall, etc. all to no avail. What I overlooked is that there IS a way to turn off web hints and I had.  Sorry for the waste of time and have a great weekend.