10 replies to this topic

#1 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

This message appeared during three attempts to update to RM 7.5:  "Error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination folder."

What to do?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

Try downloading the full install instead of doing the update from within RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Tried the full install, get same error message, but now with more information:  "MoveFile failed.  Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Can you do an uninstall of RootsMagic?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry

Jerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm getting the same error message. I tried several times. I was able to uninstall the partial or nonworking 7.5 in Programs and Featrues. Tried to reinstall older 7.0 version and get same error message there, too.

UPDATE: I got the install to work after several steps. After uninstalling whatever showed in Programs and Features, rebooted. Then ran CCleaner to remove unnecessary files, then ran CClearner registry analysis and cleaner. Following these steps Version 7.;5 installed and ran normally.

#6 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Still struggling here, too.  I tried to uninstall Rootsmagic and start fresh, but am getting "access denied" due to its thinking that I'm not the administrator.  I checked Google for how to resolve that issue in Windows 10, but I'm not getting the required choices from the Security window under Properties for the Rootsmagic.exe file.  The required choices would have let me set myself as administrator, apparently, but I just get another denial message.  

P.S.  Before trying to uninstall Rootsmagic, I discovered that the program would no longer open.  It had opened fine, as usual, until the failed attempt to install the 7.5 update.

#7 maryland

maryland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

I have the same problem. Tried the upgrade first which failed. Then I downloaded the product from the website and tried a new install which also failed. Then I uninstalled, downloaded and re-installed. All three failed with the same message  "MoveFile failed.  Cannot create a file when that file already exists."  I don't have CCleaner mentioned by Jerry. Can you please help with resolving this?  Thanks.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

CCleaner Free available here: https://www.piriform...leaner/download

#9 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, TomH.  I got RootsMagic up and running again after a CCleaner sweep, although the RM update still indicated it would be overwriting an RM file in the Program folder.  So instead, I installed the update in another folder.

#10 ToRoot57

ToRoot57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

Obviously there may be more than just an Windows 10 issue if the 2nd update since TreeShare caused the same error on my PC. I had to do another uninstall, restart and reinstall for this last update as the previous update to TreeShare. It works but I would like to know if this will be the new norm for all updates. Should I just get my updates from the RM website and forget about updating from within the program?

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

Should I just get my updates from the RM website and forget about updating from within the program?

It's likely all about permissions, ie. the Windows UAC (User Account Control) facility. If the user account, with which you log into Windows, does not have a sufficient level of permissions, certain file system operations are not allowed for that user from within most programs. Suggest you try using Windows File Explorer to navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 7 folder and then left-click once on the RootsMagic.exe file to highlight (select) it. Then right-click upon it, choose Properties, choose Compatibility tab and click to checkmark the option <Run this program as Administrator>. Hopefully that will work for you.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N