• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graybuffalo

graybuffalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

I was pleased to read the news today about the RootsMagic 7.5 update with Ancestry hints integration and Tree Share. Will Ancestry integration be coming to RootsMagic for Mac anytime soon?

#2 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

I believe it's already in the upgraded Mac version.  I downloaded that yesterday but haven't tried using it yet.  Don't feel like being a "pioneer" after watching all the fun being had with the MacKiev FTM change-over to TreeSync.  I'll let others "boldly go where no one has gone before" first.

#3 graybuffalo

graybuffalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'm using RootsMagic for Mac v. 7.0.1 and it shows no updates available today (30 June 2017). There is no Ancestry integration in it.

#4 LarryD

LarryD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

I'm using RootsMagic for Mac v. 7.0.1 and it shows no updates available today (30 June 2017). There is no Ancestry integration in it.

Mac v 7.0.1 is the Crossover container. Click on Help on the RootsMagic Toolbar and then about RootsMagic to get it's version. I have upgraded to 7.5.0 and the Ancestry Tree Share is there and functional.

#5 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hi I believe it is there

I just updated RootsMagic, it's under "Internet", once signed in you have 2 options:

1. Upload a tree from Rootsmagic to Ancestry or

2. Download a tree from Ancestry to Rootsmagic

I DO NOT recommend the latter if you have ANY events, media or notes marked as "Private" as they are never uploaded in the first place and you will not have an identical tree to your main tree and will lose data.

I have not tried yet but am watching the video in preparation of attempting an upload.

https://youtu.be/oDOlq7EFIWA

#6 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

I downloaded and installed 7.5 without any problems, and have had no running problems with it. Uploaded my database to Ancestry (without media), similarly without problems (took about 50 minutes for 11,688 people), and am now attemting to familiarize myself with the updating process.
It's early days, but so far so good. I'm actually only interested in the WebHints function, and though it seems a bit fiddly, you do have a lot of control, which is good.

#7 c2daven

c2daven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

I am downloading a good-sized tree from Ancestry, about 5,000 people with 15,000 source/media items.  It's been on for over 12 hours and seems to be frozen at 61% complete (for media, the last portion of the 3-part download).  When I try to close the download, it nicely tells me that I should let it finish processing.  There is a small print box in that same screen that says..."if you feel they are frozen..." and the last part is not visible, nor can I alter the box to see the rest of the instructions.  Can anyone tell me what the rest of the message is?  I will continue to let it "process".

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

Ancestry has been working on network issues over the weekend. This very likely is the cause for your freezing.

This is message we put up on Facebook...
Just a heads-up for those of you using TreeShare this weekend, we've received word from our friends at Ancestry that they are experiencing some network issues. Basically, at intermittent times, Ancestry's servers may close some of the connections made to it by other systems (including your computer).

Network issues are not something you want to haphazardly try and fix. Ancestry has told us that they are working to solve these issues as quickly and as safely as they can.

In the meantime, there's a good chance that you won't even notice any problems. When RootsMagic encounters this problem, it will attempt several times to retry whatever it was doing. If it isn't successful, you'll see a "Connection Error" screen asking if you want to retry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 andyho

andyho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

As a newbie Rootsmagic Mac user of the latest 7.5.2 version with Ancestry integration, my first reaction was that synching was far too granular with all those checkboxes. This led me to trying the products of two competitors, one that is Windows only, and another that is Macintosh only. The latter offered one-click synching with Ancestry, but it is not Family Search certified, and doesn't integrate nicely with GenSmarts. Another advantage of Rootsmagic, it seems to me, is that the database is open and accessible using SQLite.

So now I'm back to using Rootsmagic v7.5.2 for the Macintosh and find that I actually like the granular control over syncing. This helps to "slow me down" and see exactly which changes are being made. My future plans involve using Evidentia to generate proofs for uploading to Family Search and DevonThink to identify duplicate files inside the Rootsmagic media folder.

Bottom line is that I'm liking Rootsmagic more and more. I'm looking forward to exploring all its features. As well, I would like to see a native Mac version, but the Crossover wrapper works satisfactorily.