#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hi:

I have just upgraded to the latest version of RootsMagic.  I have created a new tree using TreeShare.  I notice that the list of light bulb web hints includes census I have already used and is part of my records, is there a way of having these already used hints or records not show?  Also I would like to turn off hints from family trees.  Is there a way of turning them off?

Thanks,

Sandra

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hint's from other Ancestry Trees have to be turned off in the user's Ancestry Account.  Log in to you're Account using your Browser (not RootsMagic), select your Tree and have a look at the options under "Manage Tree".

The Census Hints may be a bit more problematic to handle!  For some unknown reason, Ancestry has never used "Census Events" for auto-recording Census data even though it could, because Census Events are supported by Ancestry (and FTM).  Instead it automatically uses "Residence" Facts. So, if you use Census as most non-Ancestry/FTM users probably do, you have an immediate conflict.  i.e. 'Hints' highlight that 'new' Residence Sources are available but cannot recognise that a Census Event already exists in RootsMagic because Ancestry doesn't use/reference that data field (correctly).

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7770 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

The reason you have hints for records you already have is because you have a new tree on Ancestry. It is building supporting evidence and generating hints for you. It can't determine you already have a census fact and don't want the supporting information for that fact. If you had downloaded an Ancestry tree instead, it would have already known what hints you have looked at, because they would be already attached. 

Renee
RootsMagic