• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Hi - this might be a basic question for some.  I always just researched my direct lines until I started doing autosomal DNA testing 6 or 7 yrs ago. Then I found all my first and second cousins (to the extent possible), and traced all descendants from 3rd greats down on my specific surname; This was a tedious, but worthwhile, process. Three+ years ago I made this note in my TO-DO and made a note of each family as compledted: "First make sure that as many 3rd and 2nd cousins from each line have been found as is possible, by tracing down from all 2x great grandparents. Then proceed to 3 great grandparents to see if any lines missed."

When you get to tracing descendants of 3rd greats, it is easy to get confused as to which families have been done and which ones you have skipped for one reason or another.  I would really like an easy way to see this from the family view (pedigree view would be even better), and I am thinking of color coding. I can't find a way to do something like "search or print a list of individuals with no descendants".

Here is an example of my problem: say I am working on a set of 3rd greats' kids; I click on their Family view and see I have all the kids listed; 3 of 5 have red arrows which means I have assigned them a spouse and possibly a family of their own; does a lack of the red arrow mean I haven't looked for a marriage/family, or that they had none? (I solved this partially by creating a No Kids tag so one more click will tell me; initially I had given each of these a Nick Name of "no kids" which even saved a click).

I am looking at the simplest, most efficient way to do this and appreciate any ideas. I was thinking I could make a To-Do list that had all 3rd greats and making notes, but this would require being a little more organized than I usually am.   

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

If there is uncertainty about a particular person, I add the following in the Suffix field,  NEEDS WORK.

The prefix field works also.

This stands out clearly without clicking on any facts.  It works OK in the Pedigree, Family, Descendants, and Timeline views.

It does not display easily in the People view unless you make the Name column wider.

#3 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thanks - this is a good idea. I changed the Suffix  field I added to all lowercase 'need descendants' so it stands out after the all caps surname. Then I went through my very small number (10-12?) sets of 4th great grandparents for whom I have good info on their children, and added this prefix and changed color to lime green. I hope I won't feel the need to track back to that level, but it was a good test set.

Now i will go to 2nd grands and verify that I have nailed all those, and then tackle the third grands. I also like the idea of using the suffix filed for inputting (no kids) rather than a tag of that name since it is always visible.

Thanks again.