• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 owlsquest

owlsquest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

First, congratulations to all the BETA testers out there and to RootsMagic for the finished product.  First Beta testing that I have done that met its goal so quickly.

Downloaded the new RM 7.5 a few hours ago and from the information on the final BETA email announcing the new RootsMagic version, I started to download the full tree from Ancestry.com and prepared to wait the usual 12-15 hours for my 31K people, 6.82GB media file to download.

Was greatly surprised and pleased to see that the full download with all media intact took 4 hours and 2 minutes.  Then a strange 4.86 MB file that I did not see either while Beta testing nor on the previous regular RM7 program showed up, timed at one minute after RootsMagic finished downloading my tree.

It carries the same name as the newly downloaded tree with a Microsoft Access Project extension.  Tried to open the file as Properties states it will open with M$ Access 2013 but an error code "Access Data Projects are no longer supported in this version of Access" comes up.

Was able to open the file with Notepad++.  Seems to have something to do with SQLite format 3.

Topics that I can see in

Line 1

MatchTable    CREATE INDEX

RecID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, DupID INTEGER, rmID INTEGER, anID TEXT, Score FLOAT, Percent INTEGER, Name TEXT

(RecID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, ID1 INTEGER, ID2 TEXT, Linked INTEGER, Name TEXT COLLATE RMNOCASE, Modified INTEGER

Line 18

sets of numbers

C340105609119:1030:1128879      Ù C340105624205:1030:112887946;ø      q C340105623579:1030:112887946:        C340105622946:1030:1128879467Þ  š C340105622330:1030:1128879466

Line 28

CREATE TABLE DupTable (RecID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, ID1 INTEGER, ID2 TEXT, Linked INTEGER, Name TEXT COLLATE RMNOCASE, Modified INTEGER

Line 30

begins to list people in the tree

unsure how the order of people is decided and it only appears to be full name - Ref ID.

And a notice just popped up saying that the ADP file is gone - confirmed it is gone, though it is still holding on Notepad++ editor.  Full tree now has a modified time approx one hour later that it originally said.

Questions are:

• Is this a legit part of the finalized RootsMagic product?
  • Does the ADP file [since it has now disappeared] mean that the file was still completing the download or sorting of the tree?
  • If it happens again can I work on the tree immediately after TreeShare or will any work done on RootsMagic be lost?
  • Is it something to be concerned about?
  • Is this related to the large size of the downloaded tree? rmgc = 65.08MB; Media folder = 6.82GB, 10713 files.

Thanks for any help

Theresa

Computer Specs: ASUS G771J, Windows 7 Pro SP1, Processor: 2.50GHz, RAM: 12.0GB, System: 64-bit

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:37 AM

The .ADP File appears whenever you run TreeShare feature from RootsMagic, which led me to the conclusion that it is a 'live temporary' which is used to collate and keep a check on differences/changes between the RootsMagic Tree and your Ancestry Tree, i.e. something has to record these processes and the changes made.  Further evidence is that the file completely disappears from your system when you shut down the TreeShare popup window.

Most users probably won't even notice the file appear/disappear unless they have their File Manager showing the RootMagic data folder while they are working.  Most developers hide such control features from users by utilising the the Users' 'Hidden' Appdata Folder for storing temporary files.

From Microsoft: "An Access project is an Access file (.adp) that provides a direct, efficient connection to a Microsoft SQL Server database through the OLE DB component architecture. You can connect an Access project to a remote SQL Server database, a local SQL Server database, or a local installation of the SQL Server Desktop engine."  (https://support.offi...ad=US&fromAR=1)

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#3 owlsquest

owlsquest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thanks mjashby.  Thought as much.  I had just finished a TreeShare on the BETA RM7 earlier in the day then saw the new email.  Removed all BETA files to start fresh with RM7.5  and was hoping that I had not left bits and pices behind to 'muck' up the brand new build.

And RM7.5 is smooth as silk, opens quickly, easy to move from screen to screen, add info and media.  The competitor is soooo sluggish to start, still has buggies and the working screen format is horrible. 

I am very happy to get back to doing what I love, documenting my family's history.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think ADP, in this case, stands for Ancestry Data|Download Procedure|Process|Progress or something like that. RM probably creates a SQLite script in this binary file along with the data it receives through the API, reads and executes the script to populate the database. See Ancestry TreeShare - Impact for this and other insights.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.