• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GandGA

GandGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

Is there any simple and quick way to create a GEDcom file of an individual and all their ancestors?

Second question (and I do know that I should not ask two questions in one post, but they are closely related):

Is there a simple and quick way to create a GEDcom file starting with an individual and including all their ancestors AND the ancestors siblings AND those siblings descendants?

I suspect the answers to both are 'No' but would really like to know. Creating a group to construct the GEDcom would take a long time.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

When you create a GEDCOM, there is a selection procedure available. The selection procedure that's available is basically the same as the selection procedure that's available for making a group. So making a selective GEDCOM that way is neither harder nor easier than is making a group.

For making a GEDCOM, the advantage of making a group and using the group to make the GEDCOM is that the group is memorized and you don't have to do it over again (well, except for the problem that the group does not update itself if you subsequently add new people to the database).

No matter which way you do it, selecting all ancestors is extremely fast. Adding the siblings and siblings descendants may or may not be quite so easy or quite so fast depending on exactly what you want to do. But look at the option to select ancestors and also the ancestors descendants all at one go. I suspect it will do what you want. If so, then it also is extremely fast.

Jerry