8 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

I had mentioned this before - several years back - when I was using a Windows XP computer, now I'm using Win 10.

Sometimes - when I open a source template, the green Source Details portion of the Edit Source window does not appear.  I just had an instance where I had to open the "Book Image Copy (Online)" template four times to finally get the Source Details section to appear. 

Unfortunately, this problem is not limited to one single source template.  It happens often enough that I just got tired of this problem and wanted to voice my frustration.

If this happens to a newbie, they would probably assume there was no Source Details section to the template they are trying to use.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

This sounds like similar behavior to a problem I experience when entering accented characters. Pressing Ctrl-T to get to the Character Map sometimes appears to do nothing. What actually is happening is that the Character Map pops UNDER instead of OVER whichever other screen I'm working on. My solution is to hit Esc, then Ctrl-T, and Voila! there it is. I've never seen such a problem using the source templates, but then I use the Book, Basic Format almost exclusively, so I might not see issues unique to any particular template.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

The pop under problem used to happen to me occasionally under Windows 7. I've been on Windows 10 for about six months, and it still happens to me occasionally. I would say it's very occasionally - like maybe once a month while using RM. And I have it happen occasionally with applications other than RM. For example, it can happen with both Notepad++ and with Snagit. So I think the problem has to be a bug somewhere in Windows or else it's something I do wrong as a user, but it's hard to know where to look for the problem because the problem is so intermittent and so non-repeatable.

The problem has been with modal windows so far - those windows that you have to dismiss before you can proceed to do anything else. It will be interesting to see if RM8 supports any non-modal windows and whether or not the pop under problem happens when there are non-modal windows.

Jerry

#4 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

Pop-unders can be caused by accidental double mouse clicks if the timing is just so. First click summons whatever it is you wish to summon; second click returns the focus to the main window and puts the desired window underneath.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Are you sure your not opening Lists>Source List instead of actually adding in the Citation Manager? If you look at the Source List it won't show the citation fields in it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Following the only procedure I use: 

1. Click on a name to open the "Edit Person" window

2, Click on "Add a fact" tab to open the "Fact Types" window

3, Click on the desired "Fact Type" which returns me to the "Edit Person" window

4. Click on "Sources" tab to open the "Citation Manager" window

5. Click on "Add New Source"

6. Click on the desired "Source Template"

Sometimes I have to repeat actions 2 - 6 several times to get the Source Details portion of the Edit Source window to open.

I'll try to keep the Esc + Ctl T solution in mind - will advise results.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don

#7 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Following the only procedure I use: 

1. Click on a name to open the "Edit Person" window

2, Click on "Add a fact" tab to open the "Fact Types" window

3, Click on the desired "Fact Type" which returns me to the "Edit Person" window

4. Click on "Sources" tab to open the "Citation Manager" window

5. Click on "Add New Source"

6. Click on the desired "Source Template"

Sometimes I have to repeat actions 2 - 6 several times to get the Source Details portion of the Edit Source window to open.

I'll try to keep the Esc + Ctl T solution in mind - will advise results.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don

In testing the issue out, I also noticed the Detail text portion not loading in first few attempts. However, once I selected a Source from the "Select source Type" and clicked "OK", the Detail text portion started showing up on all (?) subsequent attempts. 

When selecting "Cite existing source" this brings up the Master Source List. The Master Source List when accessed via the Citation Manger, also failed to load the Details text originally, but eventually started to show the Detail text after a few attempts (and after the Add new source started working).

However later the Detail text still did not appear, on occasion, unless I double-clicked on the Source Selected. Yet that also did not work on occasion. Very Perplexing!

This does not appear to be a pop under issue as the Edit Source appears on top of other windows, albiet missing the Detail text portion in first few attempts.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

I finally saw this happen and have it now on the development list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

tried the Esc + Ctl T solution two ways. 

Esc then Ctl + T and Esc+Ctl+T

Neither worked.