#1 dvickers

dvickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

I keep getting address violations at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It locks up everything and won't let me send it on to you.  Requires killing RM via the Task Manager and restarting.  

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

We do need the full access violation message and what version of Windows you are using.  Make sure you are using RootsMagic 7.2.4.0.  (Help>About RootsMagic)

Here are somethings to check.

Access Violations errors can have many causes. I am going to give you a list of things to try and rule out the issue, after you have restarted your computer.

1. In RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If any issues are found run them a second time. Check if that resolved the error.

2. Run your anti-virus software program. Do a full scan. Windows 7 or later versions will have Windows Defender installed and should run that. If you don't have an anti-virus program then download Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

3. Download and install CCleaner (free) and run both the Cleaner and Registry tools. You do want it to fix the registry problems. When given the option to save a restore point please do so, just in case you need it. You can download CCleaner from here - http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/ 

4. Download and install Malwarebytes (free) and do a full scan of your computer. You will want to remove any bugs found. You can download Malwarebytes from here - http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html 

There is no need to purchase the full version of CCleaner or Malwarebytes. The free versions will work just fine.

After doing that shut down your computer and restart it. Then open RootsMagic and see if the issues have been resolved.

Please note that its best to disconnect from the internet when you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. That is because these bugs are getting very sophisticated and "call" home when you try to remove them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jcalkins0324

jcalkins0324

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

I updated to version 7.5 today and while trying to import my Legacy 9 files into a new RM file I get the access violation message that reads:

"Access Violation at address 0040394F in module 'Rootsmagic.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

John C

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Try a GEDCOM import. Legacy changed their file format and we haven't had a chance to update the direct import.

Renee
RootsMagic