• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RonHead

RonHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm a new RootsMagic user (just a couple of days!) coming from FTM.  When an individual has more than one spouse, and the spouses are listed in the wrong order, how does one change that order?  [There are dates on all these marriages, so RM obviously doesn't put them in chronological order automatically!]

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

I'm a new RootsMagic user (just a couple of days!) coming from FTM.  When an individual has more than one spouse, and the spouses are listed in the wrong order, how does one change that order?  [There are dates on all these marriages, so RM obviously doesn't put them in chronological order automatically!]

Highlight the individual who has more than one spouse, then Click <Edit> at the top ( between <File> and <Lists> )
You'll see an option to <Rearrange> that leads to a <Spouses> choice.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

Rearrange spouses doesn't seem to have any effect. It doesn't change the order in the family list and the Gedcom output appears to list the earliest family entered rather than by marriage or sort date. There may be a bug.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Rearrange spouses doesn't seem to have any effect. It doesn't change the order in the family list and the Gedcom output appears to list the earliest family entered rather than by marriage or sort date. There may be a bug.

In my experience, Rearrange Spouses does work. What is the family list where the order is not changed?

It's my understanding that the GEDCOM output is not an error. I don't think that there is anything in the GEDCOM standard about the ordering of the spouses. Instead, GEDCOM simply contains the marriage dates and the software receiving the GEDCOM is supposed to do the ordering based on those dates rather than using any ordering from the GEDCOM.

I think the same thing is true of the order of children in GEDCOM. And I think the same thing is true of facts/events in GEDCOM. RM outputs facts/events in GEDCOM in the same order you entered them into the system which might not be in timeline order. Again, the software receiving the GEDCOM is supposed to order facts/events based on their dates, not based on their physical order in GEDCOM.

Jerry

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

Dear Jerry,

The family list is found in RM7:  search/Family list.

If it is the case that the Gedcom output is not sorted by RM7 then I have to ask John Cardinal to program GedSite to do it.

This arises in the case of an ancestor whose first marriage and child were unknown until long after the second family was entered into RM7. GedSite's person page does not show the families in chronological order. It's not terribly important, but I would prefer it the other way around.

Robert

#6 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

I find the same problem with Search>Family search. I have them arranged properly in the Descendants view and they are reversed in the Search>Family View and the second spouse has a higher RIN than the first but the second spouse appears first. Additionally, a son by the same name appears in between. There appears to be a sort error.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1521 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

I just looked at Search > Family List -- a command I haven't used before.

It is clear that this list is sorting by:

1. Father surname

2. Father given

3. Mother surname

4. Mother given

The sort routine doesn't pay any attention to the marriage date.

This is another great opportunity for RM to add BOOLEAN sortable columns, since users would like to see:

1. Father surname

2. Father given

3. Marriage date

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

You can temporarily sort the RM7 family list by date, as I've just discovered. The Family list search box wasn't large enough to expose the marriage date column. Now that I see the column, I've found that the third button in the box allows a marriage date sort. Unfortunately, when one then re-sorts by "father," the date sort is lost. The sort order that Zhangrau's post sets out is correct; even when the dates have been forced into the correct order, the subsequent sort doesn't preserve the order chronological order for identically named fathers. The order is then established by mother's surname.

"Rearrange spouses" seems to have no effect on this process at all. It even seems that it has no effect on anything whatever.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

The family list is found in RM7:  search/Family list.

If it is the case that the Gedcom output is not sorted by RM7 then I have to ask John Cardinal to program GedSite to do it.

Ok, I amend my original comment to say that  "Rearrange spouses" works for Descendant View and for Narrative Reports but it doesn't work for Search>Family List. Instead, the order displayed for Search>Family List seems to be as described by zhangrau. As a result, the order displayed for Search>Family List seems to tell you nothing about the "real" order of spouses. The best place to look for the "real" order is Descendant View set to 2 generations.

I've been thinking further about the GEDCOM for ordering spouses. Just what is it that you want sorted in the GEDCOM? I'm assuming that you would want the "1 FAMS" records sorted correctly. These records are subsidiary to the "0 INDI" record. For a few example people that I have looked at in my database, the ordering of the "1 FAMS" records in the GEDCOM seems to match the way I have ordered the individuals on the Descendant View screen. This is a very small sample size and I may not be understanding it exactly right. I'm very honestly surprised that the "1 FAMS" records seem to match the way I have ordered the individuals on the Descendant View screen. I would have expected the "1 FAMS" records to match the order in which I entered the spouses. In any case, have you looked at the "1 FAMS" records in your GEDCOM as compared to how the spouses are ordered on the Descendant View screen?

Jerry

#10 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Jerry, you're right. The 1 FAMS record for the two families in question do seem to be ordered in accordance with the Descendants view in my experiments. After I rearranged the spouses in RM7, the two 1 FAMS entries do show the earlier dated family (the one later entered in RM7) ahead of the second family.

GedSite insists on reversing the order, and I'll have to look into that. BTW, your GedSite site (the URL was in a different thread in the RM7 forum) really impressed me with its clarity and, in particular, the colors you chose.

Robert

#11 cvernons

cvernons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

RonHead: 

If you click on the "SPOUSES" button (just under the program Menu bar) there is a choice at the bottom of the drop down menu called "Rearrange Spouses".  If you select this option a screen of spouses with respective marriage dates will open.  In the bottom of this screen are three options:

"Move Up" button:   Any highlighted spouse will be moved up in the display list 1 line for each time this button is clicked,

"Move Down" button:    This works like the Move Up button but the selected spouse moves down in the list.

"Sort by Marriage Date" button:  As you would expect this will sort all of the marriages by the entered date.  Note that spouse(s) with no marriage dates will sort to the top of the list by default.

I use RM7 in a Windows environment.

Craig

#12 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

1. The GedSite problem  with family order has been fixed; I was mistakenly using a beta version and incorrectly assumed a bug in the release version.

2. I thank cvernons for pointing out the Spouses & Parents buttons in RM7 which I am ashamed to admit I never noticed before this evening.