#1 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:25 AM

Entering the following string,

John Hoffos, age 50, and family

into the "Item of Interest" field of the template, "Census, Canada (online images)", results in a Footnote that is missing the first comma (see below).

Footnote: 1911 Census of Canada, Battleford, Saskatchewan, population schedule, district Humboldt (209), subdistrict 13, p. 7 (penned), dwelling 66, family 66, John Hoffos age 50, and family; imaged, "Search: 1911 Census of Canada", Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.g...Pages/1911.aspx : accessed 12 June 2017); citing microfilm T-20452, Reference RG31, Statistics Canada.

Short Footnote: 1911 Census of Canada, Battleford, Saskatchewan, pop. sch., dist. Humboldt (209), subdist. 13, p. 7 (penned), dwell. 66, fam. 66, John Hoffos age 50, and family.

Bibliography: Canada. Saskatchewan. Battleford, 1911 Census of Canada. Imaged. Library and Archives Canada. http://www.bac-lac.g...Pages/1911.aspx: 2017.

The comma is, according to the documentation I found, not a character which requires escaping. However, it's use in any field seems to have unpredictable results. Trying to "escape" it is also has unpredictable results, but usually adds an unnecessary space.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5592 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Try 2 commas? I think you've been trapped by a process which is intended to strip any trailing punctuation from the field value so it can be replaced by what the program appends to it. E.g., the semicolon in the Footnote sentence and the period in the Short Footnote sentence.

Check whether the report output has the same issue. The preview sometimes misrepresents what is actually outputted.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Thanks, Tom.

When a citation is displayed on the screen, the comma is missing. When I create a Source List report it is there as it should be in the Citation. When I do a Family Group Report, it is missing in the Endnotes. Double commas only create a comma with a space on each side.

Hope this is a known issue and gets fixed. Not sure what to do.

#4 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

Tom;

I have reported this to the RM7 support team, which has logged it.

Let's see what happens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: References, Footnote, Comma