• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Since RM update today it will no longer recognize foreign accented words in the Note Editor section, specifically French words. I cannot figure out how to correct this. What shows is the word, however whatever letter is accented is shown as a ? in a diamond. Please help, this is very annoying.

Thank you.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

I have noticed this when copying & pasting text from Chrome to RM 7.2.4.0 Fact Notes - but, so far, the only characters I saw with the <?> symbol were spaces (possibly the &nbsp; code?). I haven't been working on records with accented characters for the past few days.

#3 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

It does not seem to matter whether I copy/paste the information or type it manually into the Note Editor section. I get same result, it does not recognize an accented letter in the word. Have never had this problem with RM in the past, and I have been using RM since it first came out after Family Origins.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

We see this happening on the Source's Detail Text tab for the Research Notes and Comments. I haven't see it elsewhere. What Note Editor are you in where you see this?

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure of this, but it may be worth a try. This may be an encoding problem, esp with just-imported GED or web data. To fix, if the data, if it comes from a GEDCOM, open the GEDCOM and save it back, changing the encoding to ANSI (there's a Notepad button near the bottom of the "Save as" dialogue which allows you to set the encoding). UTF-8 may also work, but I don't remember that very clearly.

#6 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

I was just going to update my comment. After using it for a couple of days, I found that it is only on the Source's Detail Text tab for Research Notes and Comments. I apologize for the confusion.

To respond to robertjacobs0, this was not from a gedcom file. I was copying/pasting directly from MS Notepad. Thanks for your response

though.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but on Notepad my font is Tahoma, Regular 12 and Western Script. I know that RM uses Times New Roman, but that shouldn't make any difference. This only started a couple of days ago when I installed the RM update.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

It's not just on copy/paste. In the Research Notes, any previous notes using accented characters also get the dark <?> symbol. It also has nothing to do with the font in Notepad, since that gets stripped out when pasting into RM. It appears that something got broken in the built-in note editor in RM.

#8 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

THANK YOU, RM for fixing this! Works fine now.