Photo

RM7Setup incompatible with 64-bit Windows??!?

32-bit 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donegal

donegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Help please. Downloaded the latest RM update hoping to be able to sync with Ancestry and I get this - "The program or feature "\??\c:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Appdata\Local\Temp\RM7Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

Any ideas anyone? :mellow:

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

I am running RM 7.2.3.0 (the current version) under Win7 64-bit and have never had a problem. Perhaps your download file got corrupted? I'd suggest DELETING the prior download, then do a fresh download and re-try running Setup.

Another possiliblity is a conflict with other running programs, since sometimes an anti-virus program can cause such an issue.

#3 donegal

donegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I shall have a bash and let you know.

#4 donegal

donegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I tried three times deleting the download file and re-downloading and installing but get the same result with antivirus off, and even the firewall off. When I go to the temp folder as above I click on the RM7Setup.exe file and get this "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

So I check system information and sure enough I am running 64-bit operating system which I knew but I thought I better go through the motions. I am running RM7.2.2 and Win7 Service pack 1 btw

Any other ideas I can try? I was toying with the idea of compatibility mode (Windows 7 - not the Service pack version) but don't want to mess things up. Incidentally, what I didn't mention is that I tried to update RM before this latest update and that had the same result so I just gave up because I could treesync Ancestry.  I think my next move might be to try and instal in safe mode. I shall keep you posted.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Maybe right-clicking on the installer file and choosing "Run as Administrator" ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Make sure you are installing it in "Program Files (X86)", not "Program Files".

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 donegal

donegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

I think I've cracked it. I installed in Safe mode and whilst it paused for an uncomfortably long time creating short cuts, it started working. A quick look in Help/About shows Version 7.2.3.0 (24 Jan 2017). Is that what it should be? I do appreciate your responses. And Yes TomH it is in the x86 folder. Also, kbens0n, I never had the opportunity to try your suggestion because it was working but it's something I shall remember for the future. Still no Ancestry tie in yet though. I know it won't be long reading the forum. Thanks again.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

7230 is the current version.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 donegal

donegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:45 AM

Thank you TomH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 32-bit, 64-bit