9 replies to this topic

#1 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

I was wondering if there is a method for placing a table of data into the fact notes text field in RM7. I can copy and paste the data, but the column formatting is then all messed up. (An example would be family member data for a census record, there are other uses as well). This would save a lot of data entry time if I could paste a table from some source directly into the text field. 

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

There is no such method.

One problem that any software vendor would have in trying to provide such a method is that it would be difficult to provide a way for such data to be exported in GEDCOM in a way that would preserve the table on GEDCOM import.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Look at this earlier discussion on using fixed-width fonts. It works for me.

http://forums.rootsm...research-notes/

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Additionally, if you open Notepad or any normal text editor and press:
Tab
Ctrl-a
Ctrl-c
then every successive paste (Ctrl-p) will insert a Tab (for the beginning of columns)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot. The use of notepad to capture the spacing and tabs did the trick. I also tried one other approach. I pasted the table data into an open MS Word page, with Show/Hide turned on so I could see the Space,Tab, and Paragraph symbols. I then edited the spacing and columns as needed. I copied the edited table data and pasted it into the RM7 notes text screen and it seemed to work really well. And, not too "onerous".  :)

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Be sure to test how your tabular layout renders in all the outputs you intend to use. Don't assume that what you see in the RM Note Editor is what you will get. If export to other systems or transfer to another RM database is in the cards, test that, too.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

OK, I have tested various reports, GEDCOM export and import, etc. All seems well. I think this will work for me, but will continue to be cautious. I also tested using MS Word search and replace to speed up my edits on spacing and column alignment, when pasting the raw table data into word or editing. That also worked well. So far so good.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Be careful using MS-Word or any other word processor they can add additional hidden characters that may cause issues when your exported GEDCOM is loaded into other programs. Technically GEDCOM does not want any hidden characters but I've seen crazy stuff with new line and carriage return on some imports.

It is better to use NotePad++ to do text editing on a GEDCOM.

#9 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thanks, Gotcha

Haven't seen this yet but will keep an eye out. My GEDCOM tests have been OK so far. Wonder what would happen if you edited in Word, then copy and pasted into note pad, checked that out,  then copy pasted into RM7 notes? Now this is getting "onerous".....  :wacko:

Rick

RickL

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Going through Notepad will remove all hidden characters and formatting. It will keep paragraphs -- and tabbing, I believe.