11 replies to this topic

#1 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:22 AM

When I go to sign in to my account - using Firefox as I have done for years, I get a message saying it isn't a secure site. Please can anyone comment on this? I have signed in just to be able to post this.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6651 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

The forums don't use https, so login information isn't encrypted. In a recent Firefox update, they added security warnings to any login forms that aren't submitted over https.

You shouldn't use the same password that you would be using for security-critical applications like email, online shopping or banking. This isn't something new -- the forums aren't suddenly less secure than they were before, Firefox just raised the bar.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Not happening here with Firefox 53.0.2. Is it possible that your anti-virus/anti-malware program is sending the notice? If so, there's probably a setting which allows you to shut the warning down for the RootsMagic site.

#4 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Not happening here with Firefox 53.0.2. Is it possible that your anti-virus/anti-malware program is sending the notice? If so, there's probably a setting which allows you to shut the warning down for the RootsMagic site.

Robert, Firefox current is 53.0.3. Maybe Totnor needs to check for the latest update

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Thanks, Lighthouse. 53.0.3 installed shortly after I wrote my note on the 19th. I'm still not having the problem Totnor reported.

BTW, getting the Firefox version number is more cumbersome than it ought to be: three clicks, menu/help/about. It had been so long since I'd done it I had to look up the procedure.

Robert

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3227 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

BTW, getting the Firefox version number is more cumbersome than it ought to be: three clicks, menu/help/about. It had been so long since I'd done it I had to look up the procedure.

Protip: Firefox has about: commands

Try typing about:support into URL/search block for quicker action

http://winaero.com/b...about-commands/

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3227 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Thanks, Lighthouse. 53.0.3 installed shortly after I wrote my note on the 19th. I'm still not having the problem Totnor reported.

2017-05-22_100718.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, Kevin. Nice little procedure.

Don't know if the OP is still having the same problem.

R.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5210 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

I get the warning from Microsoft Edge, too.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

I still get the problem as in robertjacobs0  printscreen.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3227 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

I still get the problem as in robertjacobs0  printscreen.

It's not a problem... it's a feature ...of the latest version of certain browsers
as Renee explained in post #2

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N