5 replies to this topic

#1 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

I use the the File > Database Tools on a pretty regular basis, probably every few hours of data entry.

It would be nice if this could be simplified with the addition of a [Run All Tools] button, instead of requiring me to hang around to click-click to run each successive tool.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

No need to run them frequently.

Compact is beneficial after a substantial fraction of the database records has been deleted; it returns to the operating system space that had been occupied by the now deleted records. That also may leave the database file on the hard drive defragmented so use the OS' defrag utility. It could take months of activity to get to the point that these two operations would make an observable benefit.

Delete Phantoms is warranted when you detect their presence or your database has gone through turmoil and the number of phantom records might be large. Look at Database Properties before and after Delete Phantoms to see if there is any major change in the numbers for the various record types.

Integrity Check warrants higher frequency for its assurance that the database structure is ok, but it is awfully boring to see OK repetitively. A Not OK mandates doing a database tables reindex which can correct a class of faults.

Rebuild Indexes includes two functions unrelated apart from sharing a name. One is the reindexing of database tables index tables, needed only when the Integrity Check reports index errors. The other updates Birth and Death Years as used in various displays and reports and in the Sidebar Index; this function supports a flawed process easily outwitted by user actions and which should be replaced. So the frequency with which you Rebuild Indexes may be driven by detection of discrepancies in these Year values, far more often than errors in Integrity Check.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

I'm not a programmer, and I recognize that you are. However, whenever Renee suggests that an RM user run the tools, she always says, "Run all tools in order." That would appear to be the official recommendation from the Roots Magician.

Reindexing is helpful in many work sessions, in order to keep the Sidebar Index fully populated with dates.

Removing phantom records seems to be a good idea when merging records as research documents links to orphaned individual records.

Is there any harm (besides the time required?) to running the Database Tools frequently?

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2523 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

There's no harm in running the procedure except for the time involved, but I agree that daily or even multiple times daily of running the procedure is by no means necessary. Tom did a good job of laying out the reasons why it is not necessary to run the procedure so often. I usually do it every couple of weeks.

I'm pleased that reindexing fixes the sidebar dates, but it has always seemed to me that the bad sidebar dates are a bug that should be addressed in the code that handles the Edit Person screen. I wouldn't suggest removing the code in the reindexing procedure that fixes the bad sidebar dates, but I would really hope and recommend that the bugs in the Edit Person screen with respect to the sidebar dates are fixed in RM8. Reindexing is not an adequate substitute for fixing these bugs.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6863 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

The reason I typically tell people to run all database tools in order is because you never know if a person HAS run all of them at one time or another.  Best to cover all bases if you telling someone to do something.  If they have a phantom record and I only tell them to use that tool then they didn't get the full benefit of the other tools if they have never run them. They could have something else really weird happening to their database. Best to fix it while you can.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2950 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Reindexing is helpful in many work sessions, in order to keep the Sidebar Index fully populated with dates.

Regardless of what you call it (bug or programming gap) the need to Rebuild Indexes should not occur so frequently. Yes performing that action corrects the sidebar problem but the need for this should not normally occur within a database program.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root