8 replies to this topic

#1 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Went into Rootsmagic Explorer today with the starting point of someone that I had updated the death date yesterday from before 1940 to the exact date of 28 Oct 1948.  I didn't change the date of birth which is 22 Aug 1888.  I DON'T know what the explorer showed prior to my change, but today the explorer shows blank for the date of birth, and 1940 for the date of death rather than 1888 for the birth and 1948 for the death.  There are no other (alternate) dates for either.

I don't know if any others are incorrect (and I did do a lot of updates yesterday). 

Any one know what the issue might be?

I don't see anyway to do a 'refresh'.  There used to be a 'pack database' but I don't see it anymore.

Thanks.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3245 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

Reports->Lists->Fact List->Create a list of:
Facts with text dates

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

I got three hits - none of them the person in question.

One was for a death date with a Hebrew month (Tishri), and the other two were for birth dates 29 Feb in a non-leap year.

Other suggestions are welcome.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

I would also run the File > Database Tools

In fact, I probably run those tools every few hours of actual editing time. One reason is because the Sidebar Index doesn't properly update for new & revised Alternate Name facts. Running the tools (particularly Rebuild Indexes) seems to be the proper way to cover that.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3245 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

The program uses only the "built-in" Birth & Death fact entries for RM Explorer column display and age calculation. If neither closing down and restarting, nor zhangrau's suggestion solve your issue... do a backup and export a GEDCOM for insurance and then open a fresh database side by side with this problem one and drag n' drop everybody from original to fresh. Perhaps that will change the symptom.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2523 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

I'm sort of repeating what others have said, but it's not clear from your description if the incorrect/missing dates are in the list of facts or if they are in the sidebar index. If the latter, then the Database Tools should fix it. If the former, then it's a great mystery but I would suggest simply making the changes again and then immediately running the Database Tools to fix the Sidebar Index.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

One other wild card is if you have multiple Birth events or multiple Death events. The displayed Birth year and Death year are taken from the first such record in the related table. If you were revising a subsequent record, the display cannot change. Oh maybe it will if you set the preferred record to the sole Primary record for that fact type.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6863 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Are you sure you have the right database?  Add the Last Edited column to the People View and sort on it. See if other people you worked on yesterday are also showing there.  If not then search for other RM files on your computer. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

I went through all of the database tools.  Went back into the RootsMagic Explorer (via the search function - forgot to mention that before), and the error is now cleared up.  I don't know which specific tool may have fixed the error, but I am good now.  Thanks all.       (yes I did have the correct databse)