• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WaldoNJ

WaldoNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Just downloaded RM Essentials on Windows 10 running in Parallels on Mac.  I am choosing to run RM in windows rather than the Mac version.  Created GEDCOM from Reunion and imported into RM without any obvious issues.  However, the media are not showing.  I set the Tools - Program Options - Folders dialog and located my media folder via the Select Folder dialog next to the "Multimedia Files" entry, pointing to the folder on the Mac.

However if I try to view the media item, I get the "RootsMagic can't find this media item:" dialog, displaying the path in the format:

"\~/Pictures/Genealogy Images/Personsname.jpg"

What should I do to be able to view the images.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

I'm not a Mac user, but I have read previous forum threads about RM on a Mac.

It seems there is a method in the MacBridge and Crossover virtual machines to point to a portion of the Mac hard drive for PC programs like RM to use. This creates a new virtual drive (Y: if I recall correctly) where the PC programs can read the files.

I'd suggest that you search through these forums (especially the RM for Mac forums) for more complete info,

#3 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

WaldoNJ,

I suspect that the problem may be that RootsMagic as a native Windows app does not understand the folder structure in the existing Media Links, i.e. there is a conflict between Windows and MacOS naming conventions. In RootsMagic, from the Toolbar Menu, select 'Lists' > 'Media gallery...' > 'Tools' > 'Fix broken media links', make the necessary selections in the pop-up window ('a folder' & navigate to the folder location (Pictures\Genealogy Images) and select 'OK' to allow RootsMagic to search and auto-correct media links.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

1. You made a Parallels setup choice on whether windows and mac files are shared or not. If shared, I hope you are running a windows anti-virus.

2. Mjashby pointed you in the right direction. Check where Reunion had your media folder. Then use RM7 media gallery - tools - fix broken links and select the correct media folder. This works well in the mac crossover version of RM7 which avoids the terrible strain and expense of virtualization.

3. Check your new database carefully. Reunion is supposed to have a lot of problems sharing data with other programs.